Monday 20 November 2017

Coolkenno crowned as Coolboy survive

IFC champions claim league honours.

This result would look like a fairly big upset if the month at the top of the page read differently but this end of year game meant an end of year performance from Coolkenno which allowed Coolboy to get the point they needed to stay in Division 2 and brought an end to Coolkenno's unbeaten year.

The league and championship winners bid farewell to the Intermediate grade with hopes on competing at Senior level in 2014 on the agenda. They were to be presented with the cup after the game regardless of the result so in one sense they could not lose.

Coolboy saved themselves in the last game of the year and it was their youngsters, playing with the adult side for the first time in many cases, that shone the brightest on a cold afternoon in Coolafancy.

Coolkenno conceded a goal right on the stroke of half time after a catastrophic defensive error and this brought them from four points down to seven after Sean Kenny finished to the net. Coolboy had started very well and kicked six points on the trot in the first 15 minutes with Stephen Carter one of the chief instigators with three points to his name.

Wayne Kinsella also added a fine score and despite the feeling before the game, which was one of an expected drumming from Coolkenno, Coolboy were full credit for their lead.

Eventually Coolkenno kicked into gear but it was only a step from neutral to first and they remained in first for the second quarter of the game. Conor Walker kicked over two good scores and David Tompkins had originally made it 6-1 but by the time the Coolboy goal came it was 1-7 to 0-3 and half time arrived.

A little concerned for their unbeaten run, Coolkenno sent in some heavy artillery for the start of the second half as Don Jackman and Cathal Rossiter entered the fray but Coolboy tails were up and although Jackman's impact was immediate with a point, Coolboy got stuck in, a side determined to remain in Division two.

Carter sent over a free for the home team and the game entered 10 scoreless, scrappy minutes. Eventually the Jackman brothers kicked a point each but only after the introduction of Eamon Rossiter.

There would only be three more scores in the game as Coolboy impressively battened down the hatches to keep the goal hunters out with two impressive saves from Barnes worthy of mention.

Coolkenno had their chances but a combination of nine wides and a few cobwebs perhaps still lingering from their county final victory hindered their chances of the full comeback.

Don Jackman kicked over two frees and Stephen Carter replied with a free of his own for Coolboy to keep the gap at three points.

The only small negative on the afternoon was a silly straight red card for Coolboy number eight listed as Dan Nolan who after looking for a free, gave referee Kieron Kenny an earful and got his marching orders.

Wicklow People

Promoted Links

Promoted Links