Friday 18 January 2019

Clinical Conyard puts Carnew to the sword

Glenealy 4-9 Carnew Emmets 2-12

Carnew’s Jonathan Smyth drives forward during the IHC meeting with Glenealy in Joule Park Aughrim
Carnew’s Jonathan Smyth drives forward during the IHC meeting with Glenealy in Joule Park Aughrim

Brendan Lawrence at Joule Park, Aughrim

Glenealy stunned their old enemy Carnew with a late burst to secure a sweet victory in the Intermediate hurling championship in Joule Park Aughrim last Friday evening.

A game that had looked to be Carnew's to lose changed dramatically thanks to Glenealy substitutes Kevin O'Halloran and Alan Conyard bagging 2-3 between them to wrestle control of the contest in the last quarter, with Conyard's vital 1-1 arriving after Liam Kennedy had been sent in the 56th minute by referee Paul Porter to the disbelief of the Carnew defender and his colleagues.

As the score line suggests, goals were key for this Glenealy victory with Carnew's tally of 2-12 being enough to win most games. However, the Wexford border side couldn't keep out the Glenealy majors and that along with errors out the field was the rock they perished on.

An attack led by TJ Hennessy at full-forward looked very impressive in the first half and Carnew led by 2-5 to 1-4 at the break, the useful Hennessy being involved in most positive things and notching 1-3, the goal a stunning strike to the top corner.

There's serious hurling ability in the Carnew attacker and the Intermediate side will do well to hold on to his services as the Senior campaign starts to heat up.

Vincent O'Flaherty and James Kavanagh (free) got Glenealy out of the blocks after Carnew's early 1-1, the goal from Jonathan Smyth and a pointed free from Hennessy.

A tasty flick from Hennessy put Jody Byrne through for a lovely point on 18 minutes and then a rapid 1-1 from Glenealy propelled them in front for the first time, the goal from corner-forward O'Flaherty after good work from Dean Franey and James Manley with 20 on the clock.

Carnew regained control of the game through points from Hennessy (free) and Paul Murphy and then a long free from Liam Kennedy was won by Hennessy, lost under pressure, regained and walloped to the top corner of Dean O'Gorman's goal.

Hennessy added a sublime free from halfway a minute later before Gavin Byrne closed the first half scoring to leave it 2-5 to 1-4 at the break.

Things continued to improve for Carnew with points from Hennessy (three, one free) and Paul Murphy to leave the Wexford border side in control at 2-8 to 1-4 but back came Glenealy with a bang.

A point from Gavin Byrne was followed by the introduction of Kevin O'Halloran and a goal from Vincent O'Flaherty from a ball that should have been cleared by the Carnew defence.

Carnew substitute Dean Grandy made it 2-9 to 2-5 after 11 41 minutes but O'Halloran made a major impact on the game in the next six minutes by bagging 1-2 with a Jonathan Smyth point after a fine save from Dean O'Gorman Carnew's only reply to leave the sides level at 2-10 to 3-7 with 47 minutes on the clock.

Hennessy and James Kavanagh exchanged pointed frees and then the game changed completely with four minutes to go. Carnew's Liam Kennedy seemed to run straight in to James Manley as he sought to dispossess the Glenealy centre half forward, but referee Paul Porter deemed the transgression worthy of a red card.

Kennedy had been having a fine game and his presence as badly missed when substitute Alan Conyard gathered the resulting free and kicked the ball past Billy Molloy. He added a point immediately afterwards to the cheers of the Glenealy bench and supporters to make it 4-9 to 2-11.

Carnew came looking for something but the solid Dean Franey coughed up a free rather than allow Dan Nolan progress towards his goal and Hennessy fired over for the last score of the game.

Both sides progress to the quarter-finals of the championship that is being dominated by Avondale. It will take hugely improved performances from either side if they come face to face with the Dales at a later stage.

Scorers - Glenealy: Kevin O'Halloran 1-2, Alan Conyard 1-1, Vincent O'Faherty 1-1, James Kavanagh 0-3 (3f), Ross O'Brien 1-0, Gavin Byrne 0-2.

Carnew Emmets: TJ Hennessy 1-8 (6f), Jonathan Smyth 1-1, Jody Byrne 0-1, Paul Murphy 0-2.

Glenealy: Dean O'Gorman; Tony Doyle, Declan Conyard, Stefan O'Brien; Brendan Hawes, Dean Franey, Michael A O'Neill; Ross Quinn, Liam Dehora; James Byrne, James Manley, James Kavanagh; Vincent O'Flaherty, Gavin Byrne, Ross O'Brien. Subs: Kevin O'Halloran for R Quinn, Alan Conyard for R O'Brien, Ben O'Neill for V O'Flaherty.

Carnew Emmets: Billy Molloy; Cian Moules, S Barnes, Thomas Collins; Adam Hughes, Liam Kennedy, Justin House; Fionn Furlong, Martin Molloy; Jody Byrne, Dan Nolan, John Kavanagh; Paul Murphy, TJ Hennessy, Jonathan Smyth. Subs: Diarmuid Doran for S Barnes, Dean Grandy for J Kavanagh.

Referee: Paul Porter (Avoca)

Wicklow People