Wicklow People

| 15.8°C Dublin

Residents outraged over new recycling cutbacks

Close

John Kinsella steps over an illegal dump-site on the River Walk near the Vale Road in Arklow.

John Kinsella steps over an illegal dump-site on the River Walk near the Vale Road in Arklow.

John Kinsella steps over an illegal dump-site on the River Walk near the Vale Road in Arklow.

Communities all over Co. Wicklow are this week outraged at the news that their local recycling facility could face cutbacks or even closure.

In a letter to residents this week, Wicklow County Council outlined that the Avoca Recycling Centre at the Ballymurtagh landfill site could be closed in 2009.

It also emerged that pending a vote from local representatives the Arklow centre could face a reduction in opening hours.

News of the possible closures has sent shock waves throughout communities from Rathdrum and Glenealy to Carnew, Woodenbridge, Brittas Bay, Ballycoog, Shillelagh, Aughrim and Redcross, all of which are customers of the Avoca Centre.

It is believed that a proposal to cut last year's County Council budget allocation from €2.63m to €1.82m will not be well received by elected members.

Residents across the South Wicklow area are said to be incensed over the news and have pledged to make their opinions known even if it means protesting at the council.

Cllr. Kelly has called a public meeting at the Old School Community Hall, Avoca to which the majority of residents in the region are planning to attend.

The meeting takes place in Avoca at 7p.m. on Thursday.

Arklow has once again been blighted by illegal dumping in the same week it has been reported that local recycling services could face massive cutbacks.

The River Walk is the latest site to have been used as a dumping ground for countless bags of rubbish including household waste and larger items such as mattresses.

'It is pretty much out of view from the road as it would be too difficult to see clearly from a car but people walking might have seen it happening,' said local man John Kinsella.

'I was away on Wednesday so it was Thursday before I noticed it but as far as I am aware the council has been notified. There is a camera there as well so there is a good chance the person who did it will be caught.'

'It will be terrible if the centres are cut back. This rubbish was all over the walkway which means it was dangerous and a health hazard so we do not want to see even more of it,' said Mr. Kinsella.


Privacy