A Public Access AED in Roundwood was tampered with after the battery was removed from the potentially life-saving device.
Dearbhla Cronin, Roundwood CFR Group Coordinator, said it was fortunate that a fellow group member noticed the AED wasn't working as they attempted to access it from its case, which is located at Roundwood Parish Hall.
'We had three call-outs over the weekend, which just showcases how important public access AEDs are. We are a critical stop-gap in the chain of survival,' said Dearbhla.
She added: 'Luckily one of our members noticed there was a problem and found the battery discarded in the box. If they hadn't have noticed, then that AED would not have worked in an emergency situation, which could have resulted in disastrous consequences.'