| 8.8°C Dublin

Winning start for Newtown as they see off Valleymount in Wicklow Intermediate football championship


Valleymount's Brian Miley pays close attention to Newtown's Mark Fitzsimons during their Intermediate football championship meeting in Annacurra.

Valleymount's Brian Miley pays close attention to Newtown's Mark Fitzsimons during their Intermediate football championship meeting in Annacurra.

Valleymount's Brian Miley pays close attention to Newtown's Mark Fitzsimons during their Intermediate football championship meeting in Annacurra.


Newtown 0-13 Valleymount 1-7

Valleymount travelled to Annacurra on Saturday afternoon to take on Newtown in the D’Arcy Sand Intermediate football championship.

They already had one win under their belts, having defeated Barndarrig the previous week. However, they were short Jack Slattery who had been their leading marksman in that opening win.

For Newtown this was their first outing in the competition and little was known of their prospects. They suffered a blow in the opening minutes when they lost wing-back Jack Elliot to injury and he was replaced by Robert Greenan.

This is Wicklow Newsletter

The local stories that matter in the Garden County, delivered directly to your inbox every week

This field is required

There was little between the sides in the opening half. The scores were slow to come before Dean Odlum got Newtown off the mark with a pointed free six minutes into the game.

Odlum still retains the wiles of yore and still knows where the posts are situated. He took minding, particularly in this first half.

Valleymount midfielder Declan Cahill levelled the scores and centre-forward Sean Higgins put the Lakesiders ahead with a mighty point from forty metres. James Fitzpatrick immediately added another and Valleymount looked to be getting into their stride.

However, Newtown quickly halted that momentum. Substitute Robert Greenan was set up for a point by Dean Odlum and the full-forward himself brought the sides level at the ten-minute stage with a good point from play.

Newtown had steadied again and Conor Odlum put them back ahead when he converted a close in free.

Valleymount goalkeeper Wayne Comerford brought the sides level again when he pointed a ‘45’ as the game entered the second quarter. A Dean Odlum free restored Newtown to the lead again at 0-5 to 0-4.

Valleymount lost Paul Foster to a black card around the 20-minute mark but they almost got the game’s first goal a few minutes later.

A swift passing movement opened the Newtown defence and full-forward Adam Condon set up James Fitzpatrick for what looked to be a likely goal. However, goalie Emmet Carolan stretched full length to save the ground shot and Newtown survived the attack.

The topsy turvy nature of the scoring continued when Brian Miley levelled again from a free. A Ken Turner point from a ‘45’ and another Dean Odlum point from play left Newtown ahead by two points as half-time approached.

However, Valleymount had the final say with another defence-splitting combined attack. This time Brian Miley was on the end of the move to knock in the only goal of the game - 1-5 to 0-7 in favour of Valleymount at the break.

Miley started the second half in scoring mode again and put the Lakesiders ahead by two when he pointed a free in the opening minute. However, Valleymount were only to score once more in the second half, another Miley free with just two minutes of normal time left on the clock.

Two Dean Odlum points (one a rare event off his right foot) brought the sides level by eight minutes. Conor Odlum restored Newtown to the lead when he pointed a free as the halfway stage of the half approached. By now the game was descending into a niggly, bad-tempered affair and referee Brendan Furlong found himself sorting out too many disputes.

Declan Cahill was black carded while James Fitzpatrick saw red. Before the end Newtown lost Dean Odlum to a black card and finished the game with thirteen players when they were unable to replace the unfortunate Robert Greenan (who suffered a leg injury) because they had used their full complement of substitutes.

Newtown got good value from those substitutes with both Luke Martin and Neilly Martin getting on the scoresheet. Luke Martin and Sean Gregory extended the Newtown advantage to a goal by 20 minutes.

They had full-back John O’Donoghue to thank for a goal line interception to prevent another Valleymount goal. Brian Miley kept the lakesiders’ hopes alive with a pointed free but Neilly Martin made the Newtown win secure with a point from play three minutes into a six minute period of added time. Newtown ran out deserving winners by 0-13 to 1-7.

Newtown: Emmet Carolan; James Synnott, John O’Donoghue, Michael Byrne; Conor Odlum (0-2) (2f), Shane Mooney, Jack Elliot; Mark Fitzsimons, Aaron Toner; Sean Gregory (0-1), Cian Walsh, Declan Doyle; Ken Turner (0-1) (‘45’), Dean Odlum (0-6) (2f), Sean Odlum. Subs: Evan Moran, Neilly Martin (0-1), Luke Martin (0-1), Robert Greenan (0-1), Cathal McNicholas.

Valleymount: Wayne Comerford (0-1)(‘45’); Shane Browne, Steven Cahill, Robbie Behan; Paul Foster, William Kavanagh, Jean Luc Morris; Tadgh Miley, Declan Cahill (0-1); Robbie Miley, Sean Higgins (0-1), Sean Geoghegan; James Fitzpatrick (0-1), Adam Condon, Brian Miley (1-3)(3f). Subs: Jack Miley, Brian Flynn, Darragh Browne, Sam Reid.

Referee: Brendan Furlong (Tinahely).