| 17.8°C Dublin

Liam O’Neill seals the deal as Coolkenno overcome Carnew in Wicklow Intermediate football championship


Jack Doyle of Carnew Emmets under pressure from Conor Doyle of Coolkenno.

Jack Doyle of Carnew Emmets under pressure from Conor Doyle of Coolkenno.

Jack Doyle of Carnew Emmets under pressure from Conor Doyle of Coolkenno.


Coolkenno 1-9 Carnew 1-5

A late strike from Coolkenno’s Liam O’Neill sealed an important win for his side over Carnew on Sunday afternoon.

It was an entertaining and feisty affair from the off with the referee extremely busy trying to keep the game played in good spirits.

It was Carnew Emmets who took the lead through an Owen Young free, but their joy was short-lived.

This is Wicklow Newsletter

The local stories that matter in the Garden County, delivered directly to your inbox every week

This field is required

Steven Cushe’s side responded with two quickfire points from Liam O’Neill before a brilliant break down the pitch, led by the veteran Paddy Dalton, resulted in a fine score from half-forward John Gregan.

One man who was instrumental to Coolkenno was Eamon Rossiter who covered a serious amount of ground during the hour. Two frees from Rossiter extended his side’s lead to four points before Conor Walker added another from distance.

Carnew reduced the deficit on the stroke of half-time courtesy of a point from Adrian Myers, sending the sides into the break with Coolkenno leading 0-6 to 0-2.

Liam O’Neill and Owen Young traded scores at the start of the second period before Carnew finally broke down a resilient Coolkenno defence for the game’s first goal.

Adrian Myers carved open the Coolkenno backline before he passed the ball into the path of Owen Young who placed the ball beneath Colin Murphy to level the scores. Immediately after, a poor kick out resulted in a Justin House point, but Coolkenno did fight back. Conor Walker instantly replied for Coolkenno with two points of his own to retake the lead.

Carnew were just inches away from taking the lead after Conall McCrea’s long ball into the square was fisted against the crossbar by Justin House. The ball rebounded against the bar and down onto the line before being cleared by Paddy Dalton.

Owen Young brought Carnew to within a point of their opponents, but their hope was soon slashed. With just minutes remaining, a long ball by Eamon Rossiter was plucked out of the sky fantastically by Liam O’Neill who rounded Cormac Doyle and placed the ball home to seal a vital win for Coolkenno.

It was a game that could have gone either way but Coolkenno’s composure in front of goal and relentless pressure was the difference on the day. After favourites Éire Óg fell to a shock defeat at the hands of Hollywood, it shows that the Intermediate football championship is still wide open and Coolkenno will feel that they the necessary tools to compete for a shot in the Senior football championship next season.

Coolkenno: Colin Murphy; Patrick Dalton, Bobby Keogh, Philip Timmins; Liam O’Neill (1-3,1f), Jim Cushe, Eoghan Dolan; James Gregan, Niall Bailey; Cathal Rossiter, Conor Walker (0-3,1f), John Gregan (0-1); Pauric Murray, Conor Doyle, Eamon Rossiter (0-2,2f). Subs: Paul Murphy for Pauric Murray (45), Donal Doyle for Eamon Rossiter (55), Don Jackman for Colin Murphy (55).

Carnew:Cormac Doyle; Willie Collins, Conor Wafer, Michael Rock; Adrian Myers (0-1), Padraig Doran, John Young; John Doyle, Tommy Collins; Richard Green, Conall McCrea, Jack Doyle; Eoin Kavanagh, Justin House (0-1), Owen Young (1-3,3f). Subs: Paul Nolan for John Young (45), James McGing for Richard Green (42).

Referee: Liam D. Keenan.