| 13.8°C Dublin

Bray Emmets hold off gallant Glenealy in Intermediate hurling championship


Ronan O'Brien of Bray Emmets puts pressure on Alan Conyard of Glenealy.

Ronan O'Brien of Bray Emmets puts pressure on Alan Conyard of Glenealy.

Ronan O'Brien of Bray Emmets puts pressure on Alan Conyard of Glenealy.


Bray Emmets 2-18 Glenealy 2-12

Bray Emmets put an end to Glenealy’s Intermediate hurling championship hopes despite Glenealy’s fantastic second-half showing.

It really was a game of two halves with Bray Emmets dominating the first period.

Dara Moloney and Jack Fitzgerald opened the scoring for Bray in the first few minutes, but Glenealy did fight back shortly after and levelled the game thanks to points from John Manley and Jack Manley.

This is Wicklow Newsletter

The local stories that matter in the Garden County, delivered directly to your inbox every week

This field is required

The main difference in the two sides during the first-half, was being able to hold on to possession in the opponent’s half. One man who helped put a halt to many Glenealy attacks was the experienced Dara O’hAnnaidh. O’hAnnaidh as he has done for years with the Senior football team, was a rock at the back for his side, constantly cleaning up loose ball in his half-back line.

Bray raced ahead during the second quarter of the game with Jack Fitzgerald adding to his personal tally. Paddy Lee’s men saw the green flags raised for the first time when a menacing, powerful run from Michael Timmons carved open the Glenealy defence. Timmon’s passed the ball into the path of Andrew Conway who made no mistake from close range.

Peter Kiely, Dara Maloney and Jack Fitzgerald continued their impressive form, and it was Bray’s full-forward line that looked the more composed of the two sides inside the 65-yard line.

Paul Barry also put his name on the scoresheet before two frees from Jack Manley helped reduce the deficit before the break. Bray Emmets’ fine scoring form sent them into half-time with a 1-13 to 0-4 lead.

Many people around Aughrim felt that the game was over after the first 30 minutes, and after watching Bray’s performance, you might have agreed.

Once the ball was thrown in by John Keenan in the second-half, everything changed and Glenealy came out like a team possessed.

In the first couple of minutes of the second period, Liam De Hora rattled the ball into the back of the net, reducing Bray’s lead to nine points.

Glenaly’s pressure on the Bray backs caused trouble for the leading side and a number of points from Jack Manley as well as a great strike from Ross O’Brien, brought them to within four points of Bray.

Brian Nesbitt and Jack Fitzgerald did eventually find Bray’s first scores of the half after almost fifteen minutes of the second period played.

Glenealy came very close to finding their second goal through Cian O’Neill, but a great save from Peter Walsh deflected the ball over the bar.

Vinnie O’Flaherty and Jack Manley kept Glenealy in the game and just as it looked like a comeback was on the cards, a goal from Peter Kiely completely against the run of play sunk Glenealy.

The goal certainly lifted Bray Emmets and three quickfire points from Jack Fitzgerald put daylight between the sides.

With the final whistle fast approaching, a point from Cian O’Neill and a goal from Ross O’Brien brought Glenealy closer, but it wasn’t to be, and time ran out for the boys in red.

Bray Emmets: Peter Walsh; Shane Anders, Ronan O’Brien, Cillian O’Maolmuaidh; Dan Kennedy, Dara O’hAnnaidh, Craig Brack Synnott; Jamie Byrne, Paul Barry (0-1); Michael Timmons, Andrew Conway (1-0), Seanie McDonagh; Jack Fitzgerald (0-11,8f), Peter Kiely (1-2), Dara Maloney (0-3). Subs: Brian Nesbitt (0-1) for Jamie Byrne (40).

Glenealy: Charlie Cruise; Tony Doyle, Lee Kavanagh, Jack Byrne; Liam De Hora, Aaron Meade, Kian Conlon; Stephen Cruise, John Manley (0-1); Cormac Byrne, Jack Manley (0-7,6f), Cian O’Neill; Alan Conyard, TJ O’Neill, JC French. Subs: Ross O’Brien for JC French (36), Vinnie O’Flaherty for Cormac Byrne (45)

Referee: John Keenan