Wexford People

| 3.9°C Dublin

Premier Division Rovers rule the roost

Creane & Creane Wexford Cup: Enniscorthy Town 0 Shamrock Rovers 4

Shamrock Rovers had too much firepower for local rivals Enniscorthy Town as they comfortably booked their place in the third round of the Creane and Creane Insurance Wexford Cup with a workmanlike performance at Pearse Road on Sunday.

The Premier Division outfit stamped their authority on the contest with first-half goals from Eddie Black and Ricky Fox, with the latter adding his second from the penalty spot after the interval, before Chris 'Hopper' Kenny, who has recently returned to the club, put the icing on the cake at a late stage.

A physically imposing Shamrock Rovers side bossed possession from the off, but found it difficult to break down a stubborn Enniscorthy Town defence until they hit the front with 17 minutes on the clock.

Eddie Black got on the end of a Ricky Fox corner from the right and forced the ball home, with the Enniscorthy Town contingent vehemently claiming that goalkeeper Tommy Kennedy had been fouled, while also questioning if the ball had crossed the line.

The hosts tried to react in positive fashion, with Joe Hyland seeing his long-range free deflected out for a corner, but Rovers always looked like they were going to add to their tally as Town coughed up possession too easily.

Mikey Dempsey curled a free-kick narrowly off target on the half hour mark, while a speculative effort from Eddie Black was comfortably gathered by the netminder moments later.

Rovers did give themselves some breathing space in the 37th minute when Chris Kenny teed up Marty Kelly just inside the area. Kelly's drilled effort was saved by Kennedy but the ever-alert Ricky Fox was following up and confidently applied the finish from close range.

The Division 3 high-flyers were really up against it at this stage, but they tried manfully to get a foothold in the game before the break, with Keith Casey and Joe Hyland both seeing efforts on goal blocked.

Rovers almost put the contest to bed just ten seconds after the change of ends when Brandon Sinnott forced a smart save out of Kennedy, and five minutes later Chris Kenny headed a Fox corner over the crossbar.

At the other end Hyland was inches away from getting his head on a Keith Casey corner, but there was no way back for Town in the 56th minute when Kenny was taken down for a penalty and Ricky Fox converted the spot-kick.

Kenny had another penalty claim waved away moments later, before crossing for substitute Eamonn O'Brien in the 71st minute, but goalkeeper Kennedy was equal to his effort.

Kennedy was again called into action to deny Ricky Fox, while O'Brien dragged another effort wide before 'Hopper' had the final say with two minutes remaining.

Ricky Dwyer curled in a dangerous corner from the right and Kenny got the telling touch to copper-fasten a good day's work for Rovers.

Enniscorthy Town: Tommy Kennedy, Matty Cloke, Darragh O'Grady, Cian Murphy, Keith Casey, Kallan Murphy, Nano Fustiak, Joe Hyland, Danny Breen, Danny O'Brien, Evan Murphy. Subs. - Wayne Breen for Fustiak (56), Tommy McVeigh for E. Murphy (73), Jamie Donnelly for Cloke (73), Jamie O'Rourke for Casey (78), Shane Farrell for O'Brien (78).

Shamrock Rovers: Lee Murphy, Alan Freeman, Ian Sinnott, Podge Doyle, Mikey Dempsey, Brandon Sinnott, Eddie Black, James Carty, Ricky Fox, Chris Kenny, Marty Kelly. Subs. - Eamonn O'Brien for Carty (62), James Flynn for B. Sinnott (63), Martin McKeown for Freeman (72), John O'Connor for Black (72), Ricky Dwyer for Kelly.

Referee: Nicky Boland.

Wexford People