Thursday 22 February 2018

North End show their credentials

Beary ends year with hat-trick


THIS was the result that showed North End Utd's title credentials as they swept aside the challenge of New Ross Town in this Premier Divison clash at Belvedere on Sunday morning.

Even with given some of their extended squad a run out in this hastily re-arranged fixture, North End were so dominant that their victory margin could have been even greater, and that allowing for the fact that Adam Beary ended the year on a high with a splendid hat-trick.

North End, given their cup commitments have a series of back fixtures to overtake, but the manner of this victory suggests they are the only side that will seriously challenge Shamrock Rovers, and prevent them making it three-in-arow. The Wexford town side know their strength in depth and with Shane Dempsey ruling the roost in midfield, they totally dominated their opponents throughout the ninety minutes.

While this victory was a much needed fillip for North End, one could see why New Ross Town are down in the relegation basement, for they possessed neither the quality or the speed, to seriously test their opponents. They were sluggish at the back, where they were thorn apart by Beary along with the Murphy brothers, Paul and Jason, while midfield was totally over-run, with the result their front players were left living off scraps.

North End opened at pace with both Paul Murphy and Kyle Dempsey having good chances before they eventually took the lead after twenty-three minutes. Keeper Anthony Purcell had kept his side in the game with a string of fine saves but there was little he could do, when the lurking Paul Murphy flashing the ball home from close range, making it 1-0.

The homeside were pressing forward continuously adding their second on the half-hour, when after keeper Purcell had failed to hold a powerful Shane Dempsey freekick, Adam Beary tapped home from close in. Four minutes before the break Beary made it 3-0 which was how it remained to the interval.

New Ross Town became increasingly ragged on the resumption, been further punished after forty-five minutes with Beary completing his hat-trick heading home a fine Kyle Dempsey cross.

The home keeper Cormac O'Brien had hardly a direct shot to deal with, so it was no surprise when Paul Murphy added his second, and sides fifth before the end, giving them all three points in what was a comprehensive and impressive victory.

Promoted Links