Wexford People

| 4.1°C Dublin

Gorey boys' glory!

Schoolboy soccer: Gorey Rangers 3, Glynn Barntown 3 (Rangers won 5-4 on penalties)


Stephen Murphy of Gorey Rangers gives Billy Martin (Glynn Barntown)
the slip during the final in Ferrycarrig Park

Stephen Murphy of Gorey Rangers gives Billy Martin (Glynn Barntown) the slip during the final in Ferrycarrig Park

Stephen Murphy of Gorey Rangers gives Billy Martin (Glynn Barntown) the slip during the final in Ferrycarrig Park

Gorey Rangers won the Under-11 Jack Carthy Memorial Cup for the first time in six years as they edged out Glynn Barntown in a pulsating final in Ferrycarrig Park recently.

With all six goals coming in the first-half of normal time, spectators were treated to a wonderfully entertaining game of football which ebbed and flowed right up until Jamie Kennedy's winning spot-kick.

Gorey started the game like a house on fire and clinically opened the scoring when the ball broke to Jack Sheridan who fired low into the bottom corner with barely five minutes on the clock.

From a similar position, Sheridan doubled his tally just three minutes later.

This time Mark O'Donnell picked out the tricky midfielder, and Sheridan finished across the goalkeeper into the left corner once again.

It would have been easy for Glynn Barntown to throw in the towel after their nightmare start, but they continued to battle and soon shifted the momentum in their favour.

A wonderful passing move just lacked a finish from Alfie Whelan in the twelfth minute, but seconds later Oisín McDonagh made no mistake with his header at the back post after a pinpoint Jack Browne cross.

Just as Gorey had done, it took only three more minutes for Glynn Barntown to get their second, as Billy Martin reacted quickest when the ball broke from a corner and slotted his finish into the bottom left corner of the net.

With no end to the drama in sight, Caleb Watters smashed a free-kick past Callum Kennedy in Glynn Barntown's goal before Browne capitalised on a mistake from the Rangers defence to tie things up once more at the break.

After being spoiled with goals in the opening 25 minutes, the supply chain ran dry for the second-half and indeed for extra-time too.

That said, there was still no shortage of goalmouth action. Glynn Barntown had goalkeeper Kennedy to thank for forcing the game to extra-time as he denied Alex Devereux, Sheridan and Watters on numerous occasions, while Stephen Murphy was also denied, but by the goalpost.

With each half of extra-time only being five minutes long, there was very little time for the sides to grab a winner.

Kennedy denied Watters and Sheridan again, while Martin made sure Enan Quinlan was kept on his toes with another fine effort on target.

Despite a wealth of chances for the sides to get their all-important fourth, extra-time ended with the teams still deadlocked.

Both sides scored four of their first five spot-kicks, but when Quinlan emphatically denied Seán Vaughan, the stage was set for Kennedy to blast into the roof of the net and seal the Jack Carthy Memorial Cup for the Gorey boys.

Gorey Rangers: Enan Quinlan; Jamie Kennedy, Nathan Byrne; Stephen Murphy, Jack Sheridan, Mark O'Donnell; Caleb Watters. Subs. (rolling) - Alex Devereux, Max Finn, Dan Gregan, Adam Farrell, Kyle Duncan, Charles Best.

Glynn Barntown: Callum Kennedy, Kevin Whelan, Cian Donovan; Billy Martin, Alfie Whelan, Oisín McDonagh; Jack Browne. Subs. (rolling) - Seán Vaughan, Darragh Ryan, Rian Bracken.

Referee: Pat Sinnott.

Wexford People