Wexford People

| 14.4°C Dublin

Bohs get job done against Curracloe

Soccer, Wexford Football League: Wexford Bohs 4 Curracloe United 2


Paddy Harnett of Wexford Bohs is challenged by Kerill Sutton

Paddy Harnett of Wexford Bohs is challenged by Kerill Sutton

Paddy Harnett of Wexford Bohs is challenged by Kerill Sutton

Despite dominating for lengthy periods, there was still an element of relief for Wexford Bohemians as they held off a strong Curracloe United second-half recovery to eventually claim a rather flattering two-goal victory in this FAI Junior Cup third round tie played in Piercestown on Sunday morning.

It was a game which had a certain amount of drama as, within ninety seconds of the start, the visitors had gone a goal in front.

And while Bohs responded with three first-half goals, despite the cushion of their interval lead they still had to endure many anxious moments before eventually sealing their passage into the fourth round draw.

Straight from the kick-off Curracloe pressed forward and, taking full advantage of slackness in the home defence, Kerill Sutton fired his side in front with an effort from inside the area that beat Colm O'Dowda at his near post, providing a really dramatic start to the game.

After that early setback, Bohs began to settle into a pattern of their own and within three minutes they were back level.

After centre-forward Paul Underwood was fouled, referee Anthony Tobin pointed to the spot, and centre-back Josh Murphy sent 'keeper Diarmuid Byrne the wrong way from the resulting spot kick to make it 1-1.

With Curracloe now spending much of the half on the defensive, it came as no surprise when the home side took the lead after 17 minutes. Aaron Lambert drilled over an excellent free-kick from out on the left, and Paul Underwood stooped low to glance a header beyond the reach of of 'keeper Diarmuid Byrne.

Following this quick recovery, Bohs continued to dig deep and, playing some neat controlled football which created a number of chances, they eventually increased their lead after 32 minutes.

Left full-back Craig Kelly, having gained possession in midfield, went on a mazy run before driving a rising shot to top right-hand corner of the net from the edge of the area.

Approaching the break Curracloe, in one of their few attacks, saw home 'keeper Colm O'Dowda palm away a Conor Sutton effort, but centre-forward Kerill Sutton blazed a great goal opportunity wide to leave it 3-1 at the interval.

Curracloe showed real improvement on the resumption and, after having a couple of efforts beaten away by the home side's back four, they hauled themselves right back into the game when Stephen McGuire brought it back to 3-2 after 67 minutes.

With both sides struggling for the all-important next goal, it was Bohs in a quick counter-attack that set up Paul Underwood for the clincher with a strike from inside the area to secure their passage through to the fourth round.

Wexford Bohemians: Colm O'Dowda, John Farrell, Josh Murphy, Aaron Goodison, Craig Kelly, Paddy Harnett, Aaron Lambert, Don Maher, Paul Underwood, Seán Pailing, Andy Moore. Subs. - Sam O'Neill, Luke O'Neill, Graham Healy, Todd Hynes, Peter Doyle, Dermot Flood, Aaron Walsh.

Curracloe United: Diarmuid Byrne, Robbie Staples, Barry Redmond, Brian O'Connor, Gary Murphy, Ryan Donnelly, Conor Sutton, Larry Stout, Stephen McGuire, Kerill Sutton, Dan Campbell. Subs. - Colin Cleary, Tomás Murphy, Liam Rockett, Aodhán Foley, John Forde.

Referee: Anthony Tobin.

Wexford People