Wexford People

| 5.9°C Dublin

Joy for St. James'

St James' 1-8, Taghmon-C’ross 0-10


St. James’ captain Brian Kennedy receives the cup from Mick Bowe.

St. James’ captain Brian Kennedy receives the cup from Mick Bowe.

St. James’ captain Brian Kennedy receives the cup from Mick Bowe.

St James' claimed the New Ross District Junior B Football Championship crown with a hard-earned victory over Taghmon-Camross in Horeswood on Friday evening.

The Ramsgrange boys, led by excellent performances by Joe Kehoe and Philly Molloy, were ahead 0-4 to 0-3 after a low scoring first half. However, they were indebted to Owen Whitty's 37th minute goal as they went on the take the title by the minimum.

The Jimmies opened the scoring in the first minute with an over from corner-forward Michael O'Grady. Yet Taghmon-Camross soon settled and did most of their first period scoring in the first ten minutes.

Pauric O'Gorman levelled up the contest with a free from thirty metres out before he registered off his weaker right-foot to move 0-2 to 0-1 ahead.

Adam Parle pushed his side back ahead at the start of the second quarter with a brace of frees but Taghmon missed a couple of chances to draw themselves level again.

With four minutes left in the half Michael O'Grady added his second score to give St James' the lead at the break but a late O'Gorman point ensured it was only a one-point deficit.

Parle's third dead-ball effort doubled that lead early in the second half only for O'Gorman to reply in kind two minutes later. The crucial score was a well taken Whitty goal in the 37th minute that, at the time, gave St James a 1-5 to 0-4 advantage.

Having scored one point in the previous 33 minutes, Taghmon started their fightback. Lloyd Colfer knocked over his first score a minute after coming off the bench. Seconds later he made it a one point game (1-5 to 0-6) and suddenly Taghmon had all the momentum.

Pauric O'Gorman knocked over two more frees, either side of the midpoint of the period, to draw his team level. Three quick scores, from James Fitzgerald, Jack O'Brien and Whitty settled St James' but Taghmon weren't finished.

Colfer scored his third over of his cameo and O'Keeffe drew his side within the minimum. He missed the target with a 60th minute free-kick and Taghmon went short with their next chance, deep into added-time, they were bottled out and the full-time whistle went.

Both sides now go into the draw for the county quarter-finals but they will have to wait for their opponents as this was the first district competition to finish.

ST JAMES': Noel Holohan; Willie Murphy, Adam Long, Conor Crosbie; Adam Foley, Brian Kennedy, Joe Kehoe; Robert Murphy, Philly Molloy; Owen Whitty (1-1), James Fitzpatrick (0-1), Jack O'Brien (0-1); Jamie Wallace, Adam Parle (0-3 frees), Michael O'Grady (0-2). Subs. - Joe Walsh for W. Murphy (51), Jason O'Grady for P. Molloy (60), also, John Power, Stuart Dunning, Brendan Foley, Ryan Slowey, Shane Walsh, Des Foley.

TAGHMON-CAMROSS: Adrian Doyle; Jimmy Doran, Robbie Nolan, Jim Carroll; Tommy Furlong, Martin Roche, Ryan Banville; Matthew Doyle, Conor O'Keeffe; Barry Óg McGrath, Pauric O'Gorman (0-7, 4 frees), John Banville; Michael O'Gorman, Darren Deery, Cormac McGrath. Subs. - Richie Comerford for M. O'Gorman (37), Lloyd Colfer (0-3, 1 free) for McGrath (41), Aaron Hanley for Deery (60), also, T.J. Codd, Liam Foley, Darren Colfer, Dylan Colfer Furlong.

REFEREE: Jack Stafford (Clongeen).

Wexford People