Wexford People

| 7.6°C Dublin

Same old Storey

Two quick-fire goals from Martin Og Storey within two minutes of the re-start set Oulart-The Ballagh up for a comprehensive 17-point victory over Faythe Harriers in this Greenstar Under-21 hurling Premier championship game in Oulart on Tuesday.

The home side led by just four points at the interval, but the clinical early second-half finishing of Og Storey, with 2-1 inside that opening two-minute spell, crushed the expected Harriers challenge as the eventual winners controlled the remainder of the game, winning as they pleased in the end.

With Anthony Roche and Kevin Sheridan providing a strong central spine in defence, coupled with the dominant Billy Dunne in midfield, the winners' attack saw a plentiful supply of quality ball.

It was only in the second 30 minutes that they translated this into scores as they completely dominated the town side's defence with some quality finishing.

Faythe Harriers after a promising opening half surprisingly struggled in the second-half despite the best efforts of Ciarán Kirwan, John Bridges, substitute Nicky Lawlor and Ben O'Brien.

The opening half was a shoot-out between Dunne and Bridges, but a Murtha Doyle goal turning into the second quarter set the home side up for a 1-12 to 0-11 interval lead.

The second-half was less than 60 seconds old when Og Storey plucked a high ball from the air, reminiscent of his father Martin, turning to fire home a splendid goal.

He followed this with a point, while on 32 minutes he powered his way through the defence to find the corner of the net.

Suddenly the game turned into a non-event with Oulart-The Ballagh now leading comfortably by 3-13 to 0-11.

With the Harriers only able to fashion three second-half points, through three John Bridges frees, and with the eventual winners sticking to their gameplan under the guidance of Brendan O'Connor and Liam Dunne, they went on to pick off scores at will as the impetus had gone out of the Harriers game.

Oulart-The Ballagh: Cathal Sinnott; Kevin Sinnott, Anthony Roche, Seán Murphy; Conor Lawless, Kevin Sheridan, David Rossiter; Billy Dunne (0-11, 7 frees, 1 line ball), Darragh Brennan; Barry Lacey, Peter Sutton (0-1), Dean Fortune (0-2); Murtha Doyle (1-2), Martin Og Storey (2-5), Cormac Finn (0-1). Subs. - Darren Nimmo for Lacey, Cian Kelly for Sutton, Robbie Dunne for Lawless, Barry Sinnott for Doyle, Seán Sinnott for B. Dunne.

Faythe Harriers: Adam McDaid; Daniel Lynch, John Gannon, Stephen Cummins; Jack Murphy, Ciarán Kirwan, Fiach O Crualaoich; Eoin Roche, John Bridges (0-11, 8 frees, 1 '65); Conor Halligan, Shane Wilde (0-2), Dylan Hynes; Seán Kearney (0-1), Ben O'Brien, Pádraig Clancy. Subs. - Nicky Lawlor for Hynes, Cormac Byrne for Halligan, Liam Hore for Kearney, Danny Walsh for Clancy, Brian Mitchell for Roche.

Referee: David O'Leary (Rathnure).

Wexford People