Wexford People

| 6°C Dublin

Naomh Eanna run riot

Naomh Eanna 6-27 Rapparees 2-10


Ryan Mahon (Rapparees) under pressure from Darragh Hughes

Ryan Mahon (Rapparees) under pressure from Darragh Hughes

Ryan Mahon (Rapparees) under pressure from Darragh Hughes

An impressive Naomh Eanna decimated opponents Rapparees to advance to the quarter-final of the Greenstar Premier 'A' Under-21 hurling championship in Bellefield on Tuesday.

The Enniscorthy side were the unfortunate victims of a Gorey outfit which played well beyond their years, especially in terms of attacking threat and aerial dominance.

The Rapps actually took an early lead. A couple of Ryan Mahon frees and a Darragh Pepper minor had them 0-3 to 0-1 up after ten minutes, but crucially, it would be a further 17 minutes until they scored again.

In this time, Naomh Eanna found their range. Scoring 1-8 without reply, they put their opponents into a hole that would only grow deeper as the game progressed, with Seán Delaney raising the first of six green flags for his side.

Two late first-half points, through Anthony Murphy and Dillon Redmond, slightly reduced the deficit for the hosts to 1-10 to 0-5 at the break.

It was in the second-half that Gorey really trounced the Rapps. After three early points through Darragh Hughes, Aodhán Doyle and Niall Hughes, they added their second and third goals as they began to race away from the home side.

The handful that was Gearóid Cullen shrugged off Declan Courtney to finish high before Aodhán Doyle raced through and tucked a tidy finish under 'keeper Ryan Hadley.

The Enniscorthy lads added their two goals in the 39th and 49th minutes but neither really created any belief that a comeback was imminent, with Gary Murphy claiming both from close range.

By that 49th minute, Gorey had reached the 20-point mark. Darragh Hughes was enjoying his most fruitful spell while midfielders Aodhán Doyle and Niall Hughes were consistently on target.

Then the fourth goal came, as Darragh Hughes' shot was saved only for Seamus O'Donnell to pick up the pieces, leaving Kevin Harrington as the only Gorey forward or midfielder not to find the scoresheet.

Naomh Eanna closed the game out in ruthless fashion with two more goals and another flurry of points to humiliate the home side.

Darragh Hughes added a goal to his impressive nine points before substitute Evan O'Dwyer got in on the act, scoring from close range.

Naomh Eanna: Ross Murphy; Shane Stokes, Daniel Sunderland, Eoin Molloy; Jack Cushe, Gary Molloy (0-1), Jack Cullen; Aodhán Doyle (1-6), Niall Hughes (0-5); John Doyle (0-3), Darragh Hughes (1-9, 0-4 frees), Kevin Harrington; Seamus O'Donnell (1-0), Gearóid Cullen (capt., 1-2), Seán Delaney (1-0). Subs. - Michael Molloy (0-1) for Delaney (44), Eoin McGuckin for Stokes (47), Nathan Byrne for E. Molloy (51), Evan O'Dwyer (1-0) for O'Donnell (52), Eoin Kennedy for J. Cullen (54).

Rapparees: Ryan Hadley; Dale Kirwan, Declan Courtney, Michael McGrath; Tommy Murphy, Dillon Redmond (capt., 0-1), Ronan Kirwan; Ryan Mahon (0-4 frees), Gary Murphy (2-0); Caolan Carty (0-1), Nicky Doyle, Anthony Murphy (0-1); Adam Kirwan, Darragh Pepper (0-2), Diarmuid Byrne. Subs. - J.P. Farrell for T. Murphy (21), William Doyle (0-1) for A. Kirwan (44).

Referee: Brendan Martin (Ballyhogue).

Wexford People