Tuesday 20 March 2018

Kilmore cruise to emphatic victory

KILMORE WERE in no way flattered by their 15-point winning margin such was their dominance over second string Kilanerin in this one-sided Intermediate 'A' football championship Group B game at Oylegate.

Despite missing county star, Paddy Byrne, and his midfield partner Finbar O'Flaherty, this was a result that was never in doubt. Apart from a spirited second quarter challenge, Kilanerin were totally outplayed to such an extent that the souty county side's victory margin could have been far greater.

Kilmore were armed and ready from the outset, setting up their opening goal inside 60 seconds of the start when centre-back Shane Cousins stormed forward, before laying the ball off to full-forward Noel Casey whose shot easily beat 'keeper Patrick Hughes. With Noel Raftery, Denis Kenny, Noel Casey and a Daithí Moore free all adding points, they led by 1-4 to nil after just seven minutes, when John Hegarty opened his side's account with a fine point.

While Hegarty continued to pick off some fine points along with efforts from Cathal D'Arcy, Kilmore managed to respond through three John Codd points close to the interval to lead by 1-9 to 0-9 at the break.

Points from Daithí Moore, John Mernagh and Moore once again helped extend their side's lead within seven minutes of the re-start, but when Alan Jones found the net at the end of the third quarter, the eventual winners led by 2-12 to 0-9, leaving the final quarter a mere formality as they continued to pick off scores at will. Their opponents' solitary second-half score arrived three minutes from the end through Cathal D'Arcy.

Kilmore: Kevin Casey; Peter Shannon, Stevie Cousins, Denis Kenny (0-1); Noel Raftery (0-1), Shane Cousins, Shane Goff; Tom Byrne, John Mernagh (0-2); Daithí Moore (0-5, 4 frees), Alan Jones (1-0), Tom White; Aaron Goff (0-1), Noel Casey (1-1), John Codd (0-5, 1 free). Subs. - Martin Frayne for A. Goff, Rory Cardiff for S. Goff, David Murphy (0-1) for Byrne, Conor Moore (0-1) for White, Aaron Kielty (0-1) for Jones.

Kilanerin: Patrick Hughes; Cathal Byrne, Enda O'Leary, Peter Nash; Aidan Hegarty, Eddie Hughes, Brian O'Connor; Killian O'Toole, Pat Forde; Keith Mordaunt, John Hegarty (0-6, 3 frees), Michael Hegarty; Conor Byrne, Seamus Hughes, Cathal D'Arcy (0-4). Subs. - Noel Kennedy for J. Hegarty, Diarmuid O'Sullivan for E. Hughes, James Dixon for Nash, Brian D'Arcy (0-1) for S. Hughes.

Referee: Philip Murphy (Faythe Harriers).


The Réalt na Mara versus St. Mary's (Maudlintown) game which was unfinished in Bree on Thursday last has been re-fixed for St. Patrick's Park on Friday next at 7 p.m.

Whoever wins the game will claim the fourth and final qualifying spot from the group, with Kilmore, Kilanerin and Marshalstown-Castledockrell already through. The latter received a walkover from Oylegate-Glenbrien on Sunday last.

Naomh Eanna will play Réalt na Mara or St. Mary's (Maudlintown) in the quarter-final while Cloughbawn will face Marshalstown-Castledockrell, St. Patrick's will meet Kilanerin, and Geraldine O'Hanrahans will lock horns with Kilmore.

Wexford People

Most Read