Sunday 18 February 2018

Glynn-Barntown hit Cranford for six

GLYNN-BARNTOWN went goal-crazy in the second-half to brush aside Cranford in the Lodgewood Engineering Intermediate football championship at St Patrick's Park.

A nervy first-half saw both sides take the lead at different stages but the Killurin men, who eventually led by 2-1 to 1-3 at half-time, kicked on after the resumption as Michael O'Regan and Robert Dempsey both claimed doubles.

Goal chances were plentiful in the opening half too. Dempsey forced Craanford's Bob Flynn into an early save while James O'Loughlin's effort was bundled away at the other end.

With the Gorey District side leading by 0-2 to 0-1, Glynn-Barntown finally made the major breakthrough when Mark Carley forced home from close range but Craanford hit back with six minutes of the half remaining when Ger Lyons kept his head well to fire a low shot to the net.

Dempsey fisted home his first three-pointer from close range after good work by county hurlers Mark Fanning and Michael O'Regan, and it was the latter who was hit with a high tackle moments later - a tackle that saw sweeper William Doyle collect his second yellow card. A breathless first-half ended with Flynn saving from Craig Doyle and there was to be no shortage of goalmouth drama upon the resumption either.

Craanford added their final point through Michael O'Loughlin two minutes into the second-half as Glynn-Barntown kicked on to take victory.

Barry Doyle chipped Flynn for a goal in the 38th minute and Michael O'Regan punched home his first from Fanning's centre four minutes later (4-6 to 1-4). Dempsey was alert to prod home from close range to begin the final quarter and it was left to midfielder cum full-forward O'Regan to round off the goal-getting six minutes from time to wrap up a convincing victory for one of the championship favourites.

Glynn-Barntown: Luke Rafter; Shane Gubbins, Pádraig Donnelly, Eoin Raftery; Rob Tierney (0-1), John Leacy (0-1), John O'Flynn; Michael Doyle, Michael O'Regan (2-1); Mark Carley (1-0), Mark Fanning (0-1), Donnacha Doyle; Barry Doyle (1-0), Craig Doyle (0-4, 3 frees), Robert Dempsey (2-1). Sub. - Seán Carmody (0-1) for Carley.

Craanford: Bob Flynn; Joe Berney, Michael Lyons, Matthew Kenny; Michael O'Loughlin (0-1), James Byrne, Shane Kavanagh; James O'Loughlin, Niall Berney; Matthew Nolan (0-1), Desmond Kavanagh, Ger Lyons (1-0); John Fleming (0-1 free), Stevie Greene (0-1 free), William Doyle. Subs. - Oliver Doran for J. Berney, Padge Doyle for J. O'Loughlin, Ciarán Casey for N. Berney, Seán Lyons for Fleming, Gary Keating for D. Kavanagh.

Referee: Seamus Whelan (Oylegate-Glenbrien).

Wexford People

Promoted Links

Most Read

Promoted Links