Wednesday 13 December 2017

Cloughbawn reeled in by Geraldines

GERALDINE O'HANRAHANS kicked five points without reply in the last 13 minutes to reel Cloughbawn in and earn a share of the spoils in this Intermediate 'A' football championship Group A clash in rain-sodden Cushinstown.

Indeed, the Rossonians almost snatched a last-gasp victory, but referee Noel Whelan called a halt three minutes into added time with Matt Crowdle about to shoot after receiving a line ball from Kieran Butler.

It wasn't a bone of contention though as the outcome ensured that both teams advance to the quarter-finals when tougher tests will no doubt await.

Cloughbawn had first use of the elements and moved into a 0-4 to 0-1 lead before overlapping wing-back James Ryan brought the Geraldines level with a goal in the 19th minute which was the first score from play for either side.

However, county Under-21 Colm Kehoe - playing in a target-man role close to goal - finished a Páidí Cullen free to the net shortly afterwards and the town team trailed by 1-7 to 1-2 at the break.

It looked like Cloughbawn might hold out when the Geraldines had four wides and just one point - courtesy of a Kieran Butler free - in the third quarter.

Their hopes were strengthened even more when Páidí Cullen got what would prove to be their sole second-half point in the 47th minute. The Barrowsiders eventually got their act together though and drew level thanks to scores from substitute John Sutton with his first touch, county Senior Seán Culleton (free and '45), Matt Crowdle and - most important of all - another replacement, Danny Conway, nearly two minutes into added time.

Cloughbawn: Kevin Doyle; T.J. Murphy, Tomás Furlong, Eamon Martin; Gavin Murphy, David Doyle-Murphy, Davin Murphy; M.J. Furlong (capt., 0-1), Páidí Cullen (0-4, 3 frees, 1 '45); Robert Kinsella, Kieran Kennedy (0-3, 2 frees), Noel Carton; Páidí Kehoe, Martin Connick, Colm Kehoe (1-0). Subs. - Eamon Buckley for Connick (HT), Alan Carton for N. Carton (HT), Dean Murphy for P. Kehoe (44), Cathal Spratt for Kinsella (60 + 2).

Geraldine O'Hanrahans: Mick Cleere; Seán Crowdle, Conor Cleere, David McCarthy; James Ryan (1-0), Matt Crowdle (0-1), Dylan Egan; Seán Culleton (0-2, 1 free, 1 '45), Jamie Cullen; Kieran Butler (0-3 frees), David Crowdle (capt.), Ricky Doyle; Stephen Somers, Mark Rellis, Eoin Kelly. Subs. - Emmet Hall for M. Cleere, inj. (21), Derek Butler for Somers (25), James O'Shea for Egan (38), John Sutton (0-1) for Doyle (46), Danny Conway (0-1) for Rellis (57).

Referee: Noel Whelan (Fethard).

Wexford People

Promoted Links

Most Read

Promoted Links