Saturday 21 April 2018

Anne's show no mercy to Duffry

COUNTY CHAMPIONS St. Anne's got their 2013 Tom Doyle Supplies Senior football championship off to a flying start with a facile win over a struggling Duffry Rovers in O'Kennedy Park on Saturday last.

League results had not boded well for a shock result and no surprise was forthcoming as the Rathangan side demonstrated the mix of power and class that propelled them to the title last year.

A season of hardship seems to be in the offing for Duffry Rovers although they struggled early last year too before saving themselves with a dramatic victory over Clongeen.

St. Anne's performed as one would expect the county champions to. They were already on the scoreboard through the mightily-impressive Seán Gaul before Redmond Barry hauled in a Franny Simpson pass, darted away and buried a low shot past Bobby Larkin inside three minutes (1-1 to nil).

Imperious at midfield, David Fogarty got on the scoreboard before Thomas Browne opened the Duffry's account in the tenth minute.

Points continued to flow for St. Anne's as Gaul brought his total to four by the end of the first quarter (1-6 to 0-1). Micheál Doyle ended a five-minute spell without a score with his side's second but it only encouraged another onslaught as Franny Simpson hit three stunning points in a two-minute spell and Barry added a double too (1-12 to 0-3).

Almost out of the half with no further damage, Duffry Rovers succumbed to one final attack as Simpson and a maurading Kevin Hannigan released Barry - who had narrowly drilled wide when sent away earlier in the half - for his second goal.

Well behind, the Coolree side got off to a horrible start in the second-half as Diarmuid O'Keeffe broke away and fed Pierce White, who drove down the centre and unleashed a stunning shot into the roof of the net (3-12 to 0-3).

David Fogarty and Aidan Rochford pointed before the Duffry had their best spell. Paul Nolan hit his second superb point while moments later substitute Ger Coleman rose highest to fist Johnny Flynn-O'Connor's free to the net.

That mini-revival was stunted at the end of the third quarter when Flynn-O'Connor picked up his second yellow for a foul on Barry and St. Anne's continued to pick off the scores as the half wore on.

The fourth St. Anne's major arrived with eight minutes remaining as a superb Barry pass picked out Rochford who flicked over the on-rushing Larkin and punched to the net from close range (4-17 to 1-4).

Fogarty somehow failed to cap his performance with a goal when shooting wide from close range with four minutes remaining, but Barry brought his tally to 2-5 late on as St. Anne's ran out easy winners ahead of a showdown with Fethard on Sunday.

St. Anne's: Seamus Mythen; Kevin Hannigan, Tomás Cullen, Páraic O'Keeffe; Kenny Cloney, Diarmuid O'Keeffe, Aidan Rochford (1-1); David Fogarty (0-3), Jonathan Fogarty; Seán Gaul (0-7, 5 frees), Pierce White (1-2), David O'Connor; Franny Simpson (0-3), Redmond Barry (2-5, 0-1 free), Mark Furlong. Sub. - Kevin Whelan (0-1) for Furlong.

Duffry Rovers: Bobby Larkin; James Howlin, Fergal Kenny, James Nolan; Brian Clince, Johnny Flynn-O'Connor, Craig Casey; Paul Nolan (0-2), John McCarthy; Thomas Browne (0-1), Alan O'Neill, Stephen Watchorn; Patrick Nolan, Eamonn Doyle, Micheál Doyle (0-1). Subs. - Aidan Byrne for Kenny, Ger Coleman (1-0) for Browne, Matthew Flynn-O'Connor for Watchorn.

Referee: David Jenkins (Gusserane).

Wexford People

Most Read