Wexford People

| 15.5°C Dublin

Classy Castletown run riot over flat Kilanerin

GAA: senior football championship


Kilanerin’s Mark Gethings chases Castletown’s Donnacha Holmes.

Kilanerin’s Mark Gethings chases Castletown’s Donnacha Holmes.

Kilanerin’s Mark Gethings chases Castletown’s Donnacha Holmes.

Last year's beaten finalists Kilanerin once again fell flat as they were totally outclassed by an impressive Castletown in this totally onesided Wexford Group A Round 4 Senior football championship game played at Innovate Wexford Park on Sunday evening last.

As with all local derby clashes much was expected from this clash of the Gorey District neighbours but right from the start it was Castletown who exerted control with an impressive brand of possession football played at pace, a style which opened up so many chinks in the Kilanerin armour, that the final scoreline could have been far more impressive had they maintained their tempo right through the second period.

The outcome of this encounter played out in front of less than two hundred supporters was quite clear by the end of the opening quarter by which stage Castletown had stormed into a ten-point lead.

With no atmosphere, one really wondered why these two sides from the Wicklow border were asked to make the long journey to headquarters, who so many fine pitches in North Wexford capable of hosting the game. But they paid for their wayward fixture planning with a hugely disappointing crowd.

Back to the game it was Kilanerin who pressed through the opening minutes, but have a two minute spell of close passing, inside the Castletown 45, they failed to fashion a single shot for a score, which was in contrast to Castletown, who in a quick breakaway worked the ball through several hands at pack, but with a direct passage towards goal, resulting on Donnacha Holmes firing high to the net after just four minutes.

The score really rocked Kilanerin as Castletown added a further Jonathan Bealin huge long range point, with Ben Brosnan firing home a delightful eighth minute goal, and by the end of the opening quarter they led 2-4 to 0-0.

Kilanerin had to wait until the 23rd minute for their opening score a Michael Molloy point, and while they managed a further Bobby Hughes pointed free, it was Castletown who were left sitting comfortable leading 2-7 to 0-2 at the interval.

Castletown were in total control. Even when Bobby Hughes and Jonathan Bealin exchanged opening second half pointed frees, one never felt the liklihood of a Kilanerin recovery, as Castletown continued to push forward at every opportunity, and with Donnacha Holmes, Ben Brosnan and Bealin excelling in attack, coupled with the fine play of Liam Coleman in midfield, along with Colm Morris and Frank Roche in defence, and it was only a matter of what they would win by, despite the fact they introduced a full batch of substitutes.

It was disappointing for Kilanerin, who must have been somewhat embarrassed with their display, for they are now pointless from four games and facing into a relegation battle to preserve their senior status.

Castletown: Anthony Masterson; Joe Aherne, Frank Roche, Ross Coady; Conor Cartty, Colm Morris, Rory Heffernan' Joe Gardiner, Liam Coleman; Robbie Brooks, Jonathan Bealin (0-3, 0-1 free), Donnacha Holmes (1-2); Brendan Halpin, Ben Brosnan (1-6), James Holmes. Subs: Killian Pierce for Coady (inj. 17); Colm Kennedy for Carty (ht. inj), Andy Merrigan for Brooks (43), Stephen Maloney for James Holmes (47); Jody O'Shaughnessy for Donnacha Holmes (53).

Kilanerin: Tom Hughes; Aidan Jones, Com Kavanagh, Ben Morris; Ben O'Connor, Niall Breen (0-1), Stephen Neville; Pauric Hughes, Dean O'Toole (0-1); Mark Gethings, Sean Forde, Mark Bolan (0-1); Michael Molloy (0-1), Conor Devitt, Bobby Hughes (0-4, 0-2 frees). sub: Rhys Owley for Morris (21).

Wexford People