Wexford People

| 17.6°C Dublin

Ballygarrett shine bright

Top Oil Intermediate A hurling championship fifth round: Ballygarrett 2-17 St Patrick's 1-9


Ballygarrett’s John Doyle looks to gather ahead of Michael O’Brien

Ballygarrett’s John Doyle looks to gather ahead of Michael O’Brien

Ballygarrett’s John Doyle looks to gather ahead of Michael O’Brien

Ballygarrett demonstrated their mental fortitude when getting the better of Gorey district rivals St. Patrick's by 2-17 to 1-9 in Saturday afternoon's winner-takes-all Top Oil Intermediate A hurling championship fifth round tussle at Farmleigh.

Victory sees the seasiders advance to the quarter-finals, where they will take on another district rival in the guise of Group B table-toppers Craanford, while Shelmaliers 0-19 to 0-14 victory over already-qualified Duffry Rovers on the same afternoon means that St. Patrick's drop into an unwanted relegation final against Rathnure.

Given the enormous stakes on offer, Ballygarrett gained the first significant boost on four minutes when Shane Quinn collected Pat Naughter's long delivery and cut in along the end-line before finishing to the net with conviction.

Some nice control on his hurl from Eoin Corcoran saw him flight over on eight minutes, while more points followed from Killian Doyle, Jack Hobbs and Corcoran again as Ballygarrett's lead expanded to 1-4 to 0-1 after twelve minutes.

John Doyle pegged a free back for St.Pat's before Hobbs (free) and Michael O'Brien traded scores, while two more Hobbs frees sandwiched an effort from play by Pat Naughter as Ballygarrett remained in control.

And while they sat at 1-9 to 0-7 up at half-time, they had a brilliant chance to be even further ahead when Quinn was dragged down in the square in first-half injury-time, but Hobbs' saw his penalty attempt diverted around the post by Stuart Quinn for a '65 that was eventually converted by Hobbs. Doyle (free) and Shane Finn cut the gap down to three points early in the second half, but Ballygarrett embarked on a unanswered run of seven points to all but ensure victory.

Five of their points in that spell were Hobbs frees, and although Finn slapped in a goal twelve minutes from time, it proved to be a false dawn as St. Pat's failed to score again.

Meanwhile, Shane Quinn confirmed his side's qualification to the last-eight when he caught a late free, turned and blasted to the net.

He was then struck off the ball in the aftermath of the goal, with Hughie Doyle receiving his marching orders, and Quinn following him to the line on a second yellow card for his part in the subsequent melee.

Ballygarrett: Aaron Hall; Eddie Redmond, Darren Morris, Aidan Murphy; Brendan Corcoran, Stephen Redmond (capt), Colm Kennelly; Cormac Moore Kavanagh, Tom Sinnott (0-1); Eoin Corcoran (0-2), Patrick Naughter (0-1), Killian Doyle (0-1); Jack Hobbs (0-11, eight frees, one '65), Shane Quinn (2-0), John Doyle (0-1). Subs: Jimmy Murphy for K.Doyle (56), Sean O'Brien for Naughter (60), Johnny Sinnott for S.Redmond (60+2), Adam Fleming for Moore Kavanagh (60+4).

St. Patrick's: Stuart Quinn; James Cousins, John Cousins, Joe Cousins; Michael Carroll, Dermot O'Leary (0-2), Hughie Doyle; Michael O'Brien (capt, 0-1), Richie Flood; Darren Whelan, John Doyle (0-5 frees), Glen Carton; Daryl Murphy, Shane Finn (1-1), Tommy Dunne. Subs: Ciaran Murphy for John Cousins (HT), Conor O'Leary for D.Murphy (44), Tomas Morris for Dunne (46), Peter Roche fr Whelan (52)

Referee: Kevin Kehoe (Kilmore)

Wexford People