Wexford People

| 5.6°C Dublin

Sad passing of retired shop owner Hugh


The late Hugh Moore.

The late Hugh Moore.

The late Hugh Moore.

Well-known Wexfordman Hugh Moore of Dempsey's Terrace, Old Pound, Wexford died who died recently at the age of 74, is sadly missed by his family and friends.

A son of the late Hughie and Ella and brother of the late Mervyn, he is survived by his wife Stella and daughters Karen, Loraine and Deborah.

He was born and spent his childhood in John Street where he enjoyed many happy times fishing and playing hurling and football. When he was 12 years old, the family moved to Talbot Street and the house that they lived in now occuped by Talbot Green.

His dreams came true the age of 17 when he joined Irish Shipping. He had great times travelling all over the world and loved to tell stories about his escapades. One of his favourite stories was about the time he was on board the Irish Sycamore and the ship hit an island in the Bay of Biscay and lost radio.

The ship was missing for three days and back in Wexford worried relations lit candles and said Novenas for his safe return. Eventually the vessel limped into Bilbao Harbour and Hugh stayed on board in Bilbao for five months while it was being repaired. Needless to say, he became very familiar with all the local hostelries by the time the ship set sail again to New Orleans.

During one of his trips home, he met the love of his life Stella at a dance in the Redmond Hall. They got married in 1966 and moved to Oxford where he worked in British Leyland. They had three daughters Karen, Loraine and Deborah.

In 1974, the family moved back to Wexford and Hugh took over the family grocery and sweet shop in Dempsey's Terrace which had previously been owned by his aunt Lily. The shop was very well known in Wexford as it was close to all the local schools and had a great choice of sweets including fizzle sticks and golf balls and probably the best selection of penny jellies in Wexford, if not Ireland! The shop was also a great focal point in the community and a great meeting place for locals, something that is almost gone from society nowadays.

In 2009, after 35 years of service in the shop, Hugh decided to retire. That was the end of Moore's shop which had been a part of Wexford for over 80 years. Luckily, Hugh took to retirement like a duck to water. He enjoyed listening to music and with his newly-acquired iPad, he could look up any song from his heyday. He loved all types of music but especially Rock and Roll which brought back memories of his youth and dances in the Town Hall and the Redmond and also reminded him of his travels.

Hugh also loved going on Facebook and played the odd game of Candy Crush. It is also well known that he liked a flutter on the horses and was great at picking winners.

He was a loving husband and father and a doting grandfather to his grandchildren Conor, Aaron, Emma, Darragh, Aoife and Eimear. His family can look back and remember the good times they had with Hugh and the great husband, father and grandfather that he was. He will also be remembered for the great service he provided to the community.

He enjoyed life and having a good time. He was always up for a few jars and the craic. He and Stella enjoyed going to the Talbot Hotel every Saturday night to meet their friends, to listen to the music and have a dance.

Hugh's family would like to thank everyone who helped to care for him during his illness especially the Wexford Hospice Homecare team, staff in the Oncology Unit of Wexford General Hospital, the public health nurses, Dr. Shane Kavanagh and Fr. James Cullen. His family greatly appreciated the large gathering of mourners who turned up to pay their last respects at his funeral, in testimony and tribute to the great man he was. Requiem Mass took place in Bride Street Church followed by burial in St. Ibar's Cemetery, Crosstown.

Wexford People