Wexford People

| 1.5°C Dublin

Wexford man was on heroin when he made a threat to kill

A defendant's progress in getting off drugs isn't much good to the injured party he threatened to kill, Judge Grainne O'Neill commented at Gorey District Court last week.

Paddy Connors (35) with addresses listed as 60 Melrose Court, Georges Street, Wexford, and 2 Rose Cottage, Sinnottstown Lane, Drinagh, was before the court charged with disorderly conduct at Georges Street, Wexford, on June 22, 2016, and behaving in a threatening or abusive manner at Fun Palace, Commercial Quay, Wexford, on September 12, 2016.

The case was heard in Wexford two days previously, and held over until Wednesday to allow the court to hear from the injured party. The judge was told it had been requested that Connors stay away from the injured party's premises.

He had a previous conviction for assault causing harm, and was given an 18-month prison sentence, with 12 of those suspended on a good behaviour bond.

His solicitor Tim Cummings said his client was now heroin free and methadone free. He said he now apologised to the victim of the threat, saying he was on heroin at the time. He had a long history of theft offences which were committed to feed his heroin habit, he explained.

He is now serving his sentence in Mountjoy prison and has linked in with Merchant's Quay and Fr Peter McVerry. Mr Cummings asked the court to consider the progress he has made, and to give him the benefit of the Probation Bond already in place through the Circuit Court.

Judge O'Neill asked if the offences were committed while on bail and Sgt Victor Isdell told here there were matters before the District Court at the time of the June 22 offence.

'There was a threat to kill in this instance,' commented the judge. 'The apology today one year later through his solicitor, you can imagine what weight I attach to that,' she said.

'I hear what you're saying,' replied Mr Cummings, 'but I believe he's sincere.'

'There's a postal service in the prison. It is possible to write letters to people,' argued Judge O'Neill. 'I know it's a forgotten art, but it's not impossible. I'm glad he has made good progress but that's not much good to the injured party.'

She sentenced him to two months in prison, to commence on the termination of his current sentence, but suspended them for twelve months on the condition he stay away from the injured party and be of good behaviour.

Wexford People