THE tragic death of a Wexford father-of-two was recalled at an inquest held in New Ross.
John Pollard died aged 42 on February 20 at his home in Poulpeasty, Ballywilliam.
Garda Deirdre Callinan said she was called to Mr Pollard's home shortly after midnight where she found his remains in a 4 ft barrel.
Violet Pollard recalled having dinner with her son and grandchildren that evening, after which she went to work in the milking parlour. She found her son's remains at around midnight.
Pathologist Dr Nigam Shah said the tank Mr Pollard was working on contained a cleaning agent which contains nitric oxide. 'It was a confined space with a lack of oxygen and fresh air. Even if it's only a small concentration it can lead to a deprivation of oxygen.'
The inquest heard that a rubber part had become dislodged from the bellows and that Mr Pollard had climbed into the tank to repair it.
A HAS spokesperson said the company which sells the tank has modified it to ensure no adult can climb into it and has sent advice to users on how to work it and maintain it.
Dr Shah said death would have occurred rapidly. Mr Pollard's wife Marie-Pascale said her husband was very safe and he always followed instructions to the letter, adding that he had spoken to a technician about the problem.
Coroner Dr Sean Nixon said death was due to nitric oxide toxicity due to Mr Pollard being in a confined space. He recorded a verdict of accidental death. Dr Nixon sympathised with the Pollard family on their loss.