We are lucky to live in an age where there is so much information available about how to achieve optimal health, happiness and wellbeing.
This can be confusing. There is so much information. So many things are promoted as the solutions to problems or the best thing to do or not to help you get where you want to go. There are many roads. But we must commit to a road to get somewhere.
And as Will Durant says: 'We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit.' We can say the same about wellbeing.
All the guidance you receive will only work if you apply it consistently. We all have a different nature and likes and dis-likes. If you want something to work for you over time, it has to feel right for you and be fun.
Here are my seven recommendations to build a strong foundation for a well and happy day and life for you:
1. Get enough sleep and start your day well. Do something to get you charged up in body, mind and connected to and focussed on your purpose daily. There are many options. Have a reason to get out of bed and a plan for your day. Stretch, exercise, walk, meditate and or enjoy a few minutes of gratitude. Eat an energizing breakfast. Create a morning routine that feels good and sets you up for the day.
2. Connect with others - Recent studies have shown that one of the highest factors for longevity is social interaction. This involves connecting with people you meet whether you know them personally or not. Say hello. Be present to people you encounter and what is happening in front of you. Put down the phone.
3. Solve your problems and stresses - We all have problems. When they show up, we can do one of three things. Solve them, think about them and do nothing or pretend they do not exist. If you cannot solve by yourself, seek help from someone who knows more than you and take action.
4. Live a heartful life - Be true to yourself. When things are not sitting with you or making sense, sit with them. Reflect on what is making you feel uncomfortable and address. Don't rush decisions of the heart. Follow the path that feels right.
5. Make adjustments and mid-course corrections when appropriate. We learn new things every day. The world is changing every day. Our and other people's priorities change too. What was the best plan last year or week may not be the best plan to help you get where you want to go now. It may not even be viable. Knowing when to redirect your time and resources and taking action around this is very important. When we do new things and travel unchartered territory, we can expect to do more of this. This is relevant personally and professionally.
6. Laugh and have fun every day. When we truly laugh, magic happens. We relax. We get out of our heads. We enjoy the moment. We momentarily put down what we are carrying. When we laugh with others, we connect with them. We build relationships. We feel light and we see the light in life and the world. This recharges us to do what we need to do.
7. Reflect, plan and repeat. Each day, take a little time to make a plan for the next day and at the end of the day reflect on what worked. Integrate learnings and plan again. Always be reasonable with yourself and others in your thinking.
Wishing you a well week!