Wexford People

| 17.6°C Dublin

Jo's wonderful spirit endeared her to all


The late Jo Crosbie.

The late Jo Crosbie.

The late Jo Crosbie.

JOSEPHINE (Jo) Crosbie always stayed close to her large family and it was fitting that her sisters carried her remains at her funeral service recently as family was all that mattered to her.

Jo passed away peacefully aged 60 following a short illness.

Late of Ballingly, Foulksmills, she was one of a family of 13.

Having attended Ballymitty NS, Jo emigrated to Stoke-on-Trent at a young age where she worked at Asda supermarket. Her sisters Elizabeth (Beth) and Margaret and brother John lived nearby and she was a constant presence in their homes, to the delight of her nephews and nieces.

Jo loved being outdoors in nature and this passion led to her developing a love of photography. Jo could often be found out photographing flowers and wildlife.

A family member said: 'She was a girl who never wanted anything; she gave everything and if you ever expressed an interest in anything she would get it for you.'

Jo adored her nephews and nieces who were her pride and joy and she always took it upon herself to visit them all upon he return trips to Foulksmills.

An outgoing person by nature Jo was an engaging personality who took a great interest in everyone she met. She was the life and soul of the party when she was out at social events and her warm and friendly personality ensured she made friends everywhere she went.

She returned to Wexford a decade ago and worked for a time at her sister's shop in Broadway before getting work at Murphy's Supervalu in Rosslare Harbour, where she lived in an apartment.

Jo took to the laid back Rosslare way of life and enjoyed living near the sea and seeing new places and meeting new people every chance she got.

Sadly Jo became ill some time ago and she spent several months at New Ross Community Hospital under the excellent care of Laura and the staff there.

A large crowd attended her funeral mass in Ballymitty where her sisters carried her coffin to the altar.

After the mass they carried her remains half way to the cemetery and her brothers and nephews carried the coffin the remainder of the way. Her colleagues at Murphy's Supervalu performed a guard of honour on the day showing the lasting impact she had on people.

Her family arranged to have her grave lined with flowers to acknowledge her love of nature.

May she rest in peace.

Wexford People