The late James (Jim) Whitty, Modubeg, Taghmon, died peacefully in Knockeen Nursing Home on September 14.
He was aged 93, having been born on February 9, 1924, between the first and second world wars, to Valentine and Kate Whitty (nee Kehoe).
Jim resided in the family ancestral home which was originally a Catholic fee-paying school circa 1854 before becoming the Whitty family residence for generations. He lost his mother at the tender age of six in 1930.
Accordingly, Jim and his later brother Joe; late sister Molly and Bridi Stafford developed a very close affinity to their neighbouring cousins.
Having taken over the family farm and residence, Jim was skilled in dry stock and tillage farming with an avid interest in dairy farming.
He grew prize winning barley and visited the Guinness Brewery with his wife Joan to accept his farming prizes.
He witnessed many technological advances from traditional farming practices to modern farming innovation over the years. He saw the evolutionary changes from the use of horse drawn machinery, to using steam engines to today's modern era of harvesting and tilling equipment.
Jim and his brother Joe have donated some of their vintage machinery to the Agricultural Museum, in Johnstown Castle.
Jim had many talents and hobbies.
He attended Adamstown post primary education in 1937 to compliment his manual skills and constructed the local millennium waterfall and traditional stone walls on his lands.
Having played variety of sport such as GAA football, hurling, boxing, throwing weights, and tug-of-war as the anchor man.
The highlight of his sporting career was in 1949 when at 25 years of age he was on both winning teams for the double junior hurling and football county championship for the Camross Club.
The current Taghmon Camross GAA teams donned the blue and yellow jerseys for a guard of honour on his final journey last Sunday. He was allocated jersey number 8 on Sunday.
Jim loved his neighbourhood.
He was a staunch parishioner who initiated the reconstruction of the current Kilgarvin Cemetery and resurrected the old bridge and blessed well in Carroreigh along with his fellow parishoners.
He was one of the founding members of the Carroreigh field day was a founder of Taghmon Mardai Gras. Jim was sure to bring out an award winning float with the Modubeg crew for either event. He also supported the international 'Whitty Clan' conventions and gatherings.
Jim had a fondness for parish entertainment. He enjoyed participating in the Tops of the Parish.
He often hosted the necessary practice sessions for the Modubeg Tops on the loft above the farm yard stable.
One of his best 'sketches' in the Tops was as the local policeman in 'mine's a pint.'
Jim could speak on almost any topic having followed current affairs, politics on the TV and reading daily newspapers.
He could turn his hand to many tasks such as building, horticulture and bee keeping and appreciated traditional talents such as ploughing and thrashing along with his brother Joe.
Jim will be missed by his local rural community as was evidenced by the large turn out for his wake, removal and burial.
Jim is survived by his loving wife Joan Winters formally from Kilmore; his children Mary, Ann , Val and James; his loving sister Bridi Stafford, Poulmarle; his nine grandchildren, daughters in law , brothers and sisters in law and his nieces, nephews, cousins and extended family.
His funeral mass took place at St Garvan's Church, Carrowreagh, followed by burial afterwards in Kilgarvan Cemetery.