| 17.7°C Dublin

Gorey Celtic see off strong Ballagh challenge


Wexford Cup

Gorey Celtic ‘A’ avoided a potential banana skin in the Creane and Creane Wexford Cup when overcoming the strong challenge of The Ballagh United in their first round tie on Sunday.

The Division 2 side ran out 3-2 winners thanks to a Ken Byrne penalty and an Eddie Prudskojs double, with Daryl Gray and Martin Óg Storey replying.

Dayle Donohoe, Peter Marsden and Tomás Mahon got the goals for Ajax Athletic in their 3-1 win over Wexford Albion, with Tommy Sheridan netting for Albion.

This is Wexford Newsletter

A weekly update on the top stories from County Wexford in news and sport, direct to your inbox

This field is required

Two first-half goals from Jeff Kearney saw Kilmore United edge out Fethard Rangers 2-1. Fethard pulled a goal back late on when Joe Sutton’s cross was deflected into the net by a combination of Ricky Rowe and a Kilmore defender, but they couldn’t force an equaliser.

Aaron Lambert and Ben Butler (two) got the goals for Wexford Bohs ‘B’ as they booked their place in the next round with a 3-0 win over Cushinstown.

Steve Mahon, Anthony Dwyer and Pat Roche got on the scoresheet for Ferns United ‘B’, but it wasn’t their day as they lost out 4-3 to Enniscorthy Town ‘A’.

Ferns ‘C’ had a better day, edging out Wexford Bohs ‘C’ 2-1 after extra-time. Bob Spillane and Jack Salt scored for the winners, with Warren O’Connor replying.

Tombrack’s ‘A’ team proved too strong for their second string, winning 7-0. Mick Kelly bagged a double, while Evan Maher, Jim Coleman (penalty), Eoin Carton and Matty Hendrick grabbed one apiece, with an own goal adding to their tally.

Meanwhile, Fastnet Rovers marched on with a 2-0 win away to Rosslare Rangers ‘B’.

Youth Cup

Rosslare Rangers eventually saw off Moyne Rangers 5-4 on penalties after an absorbing 4-4 draw in the first round of the Wexford Football League Youth Cup on Saturday. Adam Lambert bagged a hat-trick for the Rosslare side, with Kyle Gould adding to their tally and Moyne replying through Riley Doran, Jamie Pepper, Kyle Delaney and an own goal.

Forth Celtic ‘B’ also won on penalties, prevailing 4-3 on spot-kicks after a 2-2 draw with Curracloe United.

Alexis Asgharian and Reuben Lafferty scored for the Murrintown side, with Robbie Morris and Jack Redmond hitting the back of the net for the seasiders.

Glynn Barntown ‘A’ got the better of New Ross Celtic in a nine-goal thriller, with Greg Furlong, Kyle Sinnott, Callum McDonald (two) and Aaron McDonagh scoring for the winners, and Owen Lennon (two), Harry Kehoe and Evan Katus replying.

Jude Stafford was the match winner for Courtown Hibs, who needed extra-time to edge out Shelburne United 3-2. Cian Kennedy bagged both goals for Shelburne.

Lee Kelly (two), Kyle Rankin and Tadhg Hayes netted for All Blacks ‘A’ as they saw off Wexford Albion ‘B’, with Callum Farrell and Evan Cullen replying.

Adamstown overcame St. Cormac’s 2-0 thanks to Tadhg McDonald and an own goal, while Shamrock Rovers ‘B’ beat Gorey Rangers 3-0 with goals from Rob Wall (two) and Tom Cash.

Seán Murphy, Evan Mulcahy and Niall Logan got the goals for Ferns United as they earned a 3-1 win in Kilmore.

Corach Ramblers also won 3-1, beating Bridge Rovers in Castlebridge with goals from Ben Smith, Seán Fleming and Cillian Cullen. Adam Murphy scored for the hosts.

Shamrock Rovers ‘A’ were much too strong for Castledockrell, running out 11-1 winners. Dapo Abodiye scored four for Rovers, Aaron Dunne added a hat-trick, Kyle Baker bagged a brace, and Alan O’Connor, Gary Kennedy and Jamie Keeley netted a goal apiece.

New Ross Town ‘B’ also won 11-1, comfortably seeing off All Blacks ‘B’ with hat-tricks from Keenan Graham and John Browne, a Daniel O’Gorman double, and a goal apiece from Michael Fleming, Philip Conway and Liam Maguire.

New Ross Town ‘A’ also booked their place in the next round by overcoming Glynn Barntown ‘B’ 8-1, with a Dylan Lennon hat-trick, a Niall Mooney double, and goals from Cillian Thomas, Cathal Mooney and Mo Alhussain. Ódhran Kehoe scored for Glynn Barntown.

Bunclody ran out emphatic winners over Fastnet Rovers, winning 7-1 with doubles from Matthew Skelly and OisÍn O’Leary and a goal apiece from Matthew Tully, Jack Finn and Desmond O’Connor.

Forth Celtic ‘A’ progressed without having to kick a ball as they were handed a walkover from Campile United.

Meanwhile, John Fortune was the match winner for Oylegate United in their preliminary round tie against Duncannon, with his hat-trick helping them to a 3-2 win.

Youths Division 3

Tombrack United picked up their second win of the campaign in Youths Division 3, with Nathan Parker getting the only goal of the game as they edged out St. Joseph’s.