| 17°C Dublin

Lazarus-like comeback brings title to Bunclody


James Taylor is presented with the cup by David Tobin and Chris Gordon.

James Taylor is presented with the cup by David Tobin and Chris Gordon.

James Taylor is presented with the cup by David Tobin and Chris Gordon.


HWH-Bunclody 5-9 Glynn-Barntown 3-13 (AET)

HWH-BUNCLODY showed commendable resilience to overturn adversity on the way to clinching the EBS Mortgages All-County Football League Division 5 title after an extra-time 5-9 to 3-13 victory over Glynn-Barntown in Sunday’s nerve-jangling final in St. Patrick’s Park, Enniscorthy.

The Carlow border side were trailing by 3-10 to 2-6 with three minutes remaining, but launched a Lazarus-like comeback to manufacture extra-time.

Influential substitute John McCormack got the ball rolling when he blasted home a rebound before converting a free to edge them to within 3-10 to 3-7.

This is Wexford Newsletter

A weekly update on the top stories from County Wexford in news and sport, direct to your inbox

This field is required

And there was even later drama when another replacement, Adam Hogan, latched onto a loose ball to rattle the country-end net much to the delight of their loyal band of followers.

Glynn-Barntown were bemused as they believed they had won the game in normal time, but their confusion lay in a clerical error on the scoreboard, which had them 2-5 to 1-3 in front at half-time, but it was corrected to the official score of 2-4 to 1-4 during the break.

Nonetheless, they had the first two points of extra-time, only for Barry Kehoe to goal with an improvised effort as HWH-Bunclody held sway by the minimum.

And while Aaron Kehoe hit his ninth point, HWH-Bunclody sandwiched that score through Steven Kavanagh and McCormack to ultimately take the spoils.

Apart from HWH-Bunclody’s goal-scoring credentials, Kehoe’s accurate shooting was a notable feature of the game too, especially in the second-half when he fired over three points on the spin to create a 2-10 to 2-6 lead in the final quarter.

Glynn-Barntown had a dream start as well when Rúairí Fenlon netted inside the opening minute, although HWH-Bunclody soon raised their first green flag as John ‘Jotty’ Connors blasted home after some good work by Mylie Connors.

But Glynn-Barntown built up a head of steam midway through the half as Kehoe and Jamie Crean converted frees before the latter clinically dispatched a penalty when Fenlon was tripped in the square.

That helped create the aforementioned three-point gap at the break, but HWH-Bunclody hit back as Paddy Connors found the net with a scruffy finish before McCormack lofted over his first of the afternoon.

McCormack also tagged on a free, but his side looked in considerable peril when Liam Barry goaled to develop a game-high seven-point cushion (3-10 to 2-6).

However, there was still time for that grandstand finish to leave the Killurin lads shell-shocked on the way to a hard-earned, but deserved, triumph for their rivals.

HWH-Bunclody: Enda Murphy; Faoláin Ó Ceallaigh, Diarmuid Crean, Conor Hendrick; Ciarán Whiting, Tadhg Ó Ceallaigh, Seán Taylor; James Taylor (capt.), Eoin McDonald; Jerry Connors, Keith O’Hara, Mylie Connors; Barry Kehoe (1-2, 0-1 free), John ‘Jotty’ Connors (1-2, 0-1 free), Michael ‘Baldy’ Connors. Subs. - Adam Hogan (1-0) for S. Taylor (18), John McCormack (1-4, 0-3 frees) for Michael Connors (18), Steven Kavanagh (0-1) for McDonald (24), Paddy Connors (1-0) for Kehoe (HT), Michael ‘Tom’s’ Connors for Hendrick (43), Barry Mernagh for John Connors (47), McDonald for Kavanagh (50), John ‘Gaga’ Connors for Jerry Connors (54), Hendrick for Michael ‘Tom’s’ Connors (ET), Seán Taylor for O’Hara (ET), Kavanagh for John ‘Gaga’ Connors (ET), John Connors for Mernagh (ET), Kehoe for Jerry Connors (ET), O’Hara for John Connors (70), Jerry Connors for P. Connors (80).

Glynn-Barntown: Liam Donoghue; Cian White, Nigel Usher, Tre Long; Aaron Nolan, Donal Buckley (0-1), Daniel O’Regan; Josh Carley, Jamie Crean (1-2, 1-0 pen., 0-1 ’45); Ciarán Joyce, Cillian Joyce, Callum McDonald; Darragh Nolan (capt.), Aaron Kehoe (0-9, 2 frees), Rúairí Fenlon (1-0). Subs. - Frankie Hynes for Cillian Joyce (38), Liam Barry (1-0) for Fenlon (38), Colm Furlong for Long (38), Conor Mackey (0-1) for Carley (50), Chris Flood for McDonald (60), Carley for Nolan (60), also Ger McGettrick, Eoin Whitty, Maurice Reynolds, Darragh Murphy, Alan Cowman, Will Hayes, Alex Breen, Cian Turner, Paul Leonard, Pa Greene, James Doyle, Luke Codd, Seán Walshe, Tim Gilhooley.

Referee: Ian Dwyer (Shamrocks).