| 22.3°C Dublin

Late Turner save keeps Glynn-Barntown ahead against Faythe Harriers




GLYNN-BARNTOWN battled their way into the last four of the Permanent TSB Junior hurling championship with a tense victory over Faythe Harriers in Tagoat on Saturday.

The game was right in the balance deep into added-time, with Conor Kehoe cutting through with a goal chance to win the game for the Harriers. Under severe pressure he got his shot away, but Cian Turner saved and the Killurin side survived.

The victors were warm favourites coming into the game, given their form in the group stages, but that can be a little misleading and there was very little to choose between the sides.

This is Wexford Newsletter

A weekly update on the top stories from County Wexford in news and sport, direct to your inbox

This field is required

The Harriers will feel they should have won it. They held their neighbours superbly well for most of the first-half, allowing just eight points in the end while battling against a strong breeze but, like several of the games in the knockout stages, there was a response from the team battling the elements.

It all started off in mundane fashion in horrible conditions as both sides struggled to find their range in the opening quarter. Faythe Harriers held a 0-2 to 0-1 lead midway through the half after a pair of Jason Gordon frees bettered a point from Aaron Kehoe.

The dead-ball ability of Kehoe would become a key factor as the game progressed and scores from play continued to be hard to come by. Glynn-Barntown did find their feet in the second quarter and a string of points saw them 0-6 to 0-2 ahead.

Both outfits had goal chances in that spell, as Tírnan Doyle made a good save for the Harriers while Tommy Gallagher cleared off the line for Glynn-Barntown.

Four Kehoe dead-balls and a Daire Barron point did see their side clear, but Gordon and Stephen Kearney responded.

That would have been fantastic for the Harriers at the break, given the wind, but their opponents did nab two late points from Kehoe and Conor Mahoney to give themselves a little cushion, leading by 0-8 to 0-4 at the interval.

However, the Harriers had a lightning start to the second-half and got themselves into a great position to push on.

Podge Farrell and Conor Halligan pointed before the former fired home the only goal of the game to make it 1-6 to 0-8 in the town club’s favour.

Yet they would manage just four more points with the wind in a 25-minute spell and it just wasn’t enough.

Initially they kept their noses in front, as Gordon notched twice after a Kehoe free. However, the Glynn-Barntown sharpshooter added two more pointrs in the middle part of the half and Liam Donoghue also raised a white flag to make it 0-12 to 1-8 heading into the closing stages.

Conor Kehoe and Podge Farrell again put the Harriers ahead with four minutes remaining, only for Aaron Kehoe to respond with a late brace and send Glynn-Barntown into the last four and a meeting with St. Patrick’s.

Glynn-Barntown: Cian Turner; Conor Graydon, Matthew Banville, Shane Codd; Conor Lyne, Tommy Gallagher, Olly McClair; Barry Doyle, Josh Carley; Conor Mahoney (0-1), Daire Barron (0-1), Michael Laffan; Frankie Hynes, Aaron Kehoe (0-11, 9 frees, 1 ’65), Liam Donoghue (0-1). Sub. - J.J. Doyle for Carley.

Faythe Harriers: Tírnan Doyle; Seán Byrne, Cillian Lawlor, Mark Henebery; Alex Boggan, Cillian Twomey, Calum Corcoran; Emmett Nolan, Jack Murphy; Stephen Kearney (0-1), Jason Gordon (0-5), Conor Halligan (0-1); Eoin Kavanagh, Podge Farrell (1-2, 0-1 free), Ben Hynes. Subs. - Conor Kehoe (0-1) for Hynes, Eoin Doyle for Murphy, Alex Kirby for Henebery, Seán Pailing for Halligan.

Referee: Niall McDonald (Crossabeg-Ballymurn).