| 12.9°C Dublin

Kilmore boys on the rise after Rackard League success

Favour the hero after bagging a brace of crucial goals


The victorious Rising Stars football squad from Kilmore with their mentors, Adam Carroll and Wexford Senior hurler Damien Reck.

The victorious Rising Stars football squad from Kilmore with their mentors, Adam Carroll and Wexford Senior hurler Damien Reck.

Gaelscoil Moshíológ from Gorey, the defeated finalists.

Gaelscoil Moshíológ from Gorey, the defeated finalists.


The victorious Rising Stars football squad from Kilmore with their mentors, Adam Carroll and Wexford Senior hurler Damien Reck.


Kilmore 3-10

Gaelscoil Moshíológ 2-7

THE SWAYING fortunes provided the showpiece attraction before Kilmore eventually saw off the gallant challenge of Gaelscoil Moshíológ in this thrilling Allianz Rackard League Rising Stars boys’ football final in Chadwicks Wexford Park.

Favour Osairobo emerged as the Kilmore hero as his side were clinging to a one-point lead, having lost their first-half nine-point advantage.

This is Wexford Newsletter

A weekly update on the top stories from County Wexford in news and sport, direct to your inbox

This field is required

He counter-attacked down the wing on a couple of occasions before cutting inside to finish to the net, with both goals arriving in the closing three minutes to kill off the determined recovery of the Gorey school.

Kilmore seemed to have laid the foundations for victory when they swept into a six-point first-half lead having played some exciting football.

Fionn Moran, Jack Cousins and Zach Clooney were shining in defence, with Favour Osairobo winning lots of midfield possession, while Aaron Hancock, a lively corner-forward, and Patrick Doyle were prominent in attack.

Having come out of the blocks strongly with Jack Cousins kicking some neat points, they looked in control but little did they expect such a battle for the remainder of the game.

The Gorey school, spurred on by two goals minutes before the break, took control of the third quarter, as they continued to pick off some excellent points through Daire Cooke-Leonard and Liam Ó BrÍain.

They gradually reduced the deficit and trailed by just one point with two minutes of normal time remaining, but they were caught by two quick counter-attacks that produced the clinching scores for the south county side.

Within ten minutes of the start Kilmore had swept into a 0-3 to nil lead through points from Jack Cousins (two, one free) and Liam Keating.

They continued to apply the pressure but had to wait until the 15th minute for their next score, a Luke Devereux point, while at the opposite end Daire Cooke-Leonard was just wide with two long-range point attempts.

Kilmore now began to utilise their possession, getting a crucial breakthrough on 17 minutes. After Zack Kehoe and Patrick Doyle had carved an opening, Aaron Hancock finished with a low shot to the net to give them a 1-4 to nil lead.

As the Gorey side tried to wrest the initiative away from Kilmore, the south county team still capitalised by adding points through Jack Cousins (free) and John Marques to lead by 1-6 to nil with two minutes of the opening period remaining.

The Gaelscoil Moshíológ boys summoned up an explosive finish to the opening half, with Macdara Quinlan finding the net with an excellent finish from 14 metres.

And right on the break Daire Cooke-Leonard goaled with a rising shot from a 14-metre free to transform the game, as Kilmore now went in at the interval with just a three-point lead (1-6 to 2-0).

The Gorey boys took up where they left off as immediately on the resumption they had reduced the deficit to one point through two Liam Ó BrÍain scores, one from a free.

This set the scene for a thrilling second-half, with Kilmore having to wait until 14 minutes for their opening second-half score, an Aaron Hancock point.

This was followed almost immediately by a Jack Cousins pointed free, leaving the eventual winners leading by 1-8 to 2-2. With Daire Cooke-Leonard keeping his side very much in contention with left-footed pointed frees, it eventually took those two late goals from Favour Osairobo to clinch the title for the south county side.

Kilmore: Dylan Furlong; Darragh Cullen, Fionn Moran, Darragh Moran; Jack Cousins (0-4, 3 frees), Zach Clooney, Ted Cousins; John Marques (0-1), Favour Osairobo (2-0); Miguel Chaves-Mendonca, Zack Kehoe, Luke Devereux (0-1); Liam Keating (0-1), Patrick Doyle (0-1), Aaron Hancock (capt., 1-2). Subs. - Cathal McGuire, Oran Bates-Fallon, Tair Sorokins, Rúadhan Sinnott, Watty Wall, Georgan Murphy, Calum Breslin, Alan Power, Donnacha Cousins. Coaches: Damien Reck, Adam Carroll.

Gaelscoil Moshíológ (Gorey): Conal Ó Mairtín; Luke Ó Síocháin, Fionn Ó Ciardúbháin, Jack Conroy-Moore; Bobby Moran, Darrach Ó Broin (capt.), Hugo Ó Broin; Macdara Quinlan (1-0), Daire Cooke-Leonard (1-4, 1-3 frees, 0-1 ’30); Emiliano Ó Súilleabháin, Liam Ó Bríain (0-2, 1 free), Oisín Ó Súilleabháin; Ferghal Jones, Charlie Brett, Riley Atkins. Subs. - Oisín Mac Réamainn (0-1), Noah Breen, Jack Ó Faoláin-Mac Gabhann, Max Ó Tuairisc, Donnacha English, Eoin Ó Foirtcheirn, Charlie Mac Roibín, Harry Ó Faoláin-Mac Gabhann, Owen Wilson-Coleman, Eogan Regan, Iarla Mac Aodha-Mac Murchu, Fionn Ó Ciardúbháin. Coach: Clodagh Ní Cheallaigh.

Referee: Brendan Holohan (Rathgarogue-Cushinstown).