| 20.3°C Dublin

Horeswood secure draw against Monageer-Boolavogue




THREE INJURY time points earned Horeswood a share of the spoils in an entertaining Joyces Expert Intermediate ‘A’ hurling championship Group B clash in a sun-soaked Oylegate on Sunday.

Monageer-Boolavogue looked to have done enough, leading by 2-16 to 1-16 as the clock ticked into the red, but two Michael O’Hanlon frees, either side of a superb Jamie Myler line ball, ensured the sides came away with a point apiece.

Horeswood made the more positive start, with three O’Hanlon placed balls and points from Joe O’Sullivan and Declan Murphy helping them to a 0-5 to 0-1 lead by the eighth minute.

This is Wexford Newsletter

A weekly update on the top stories from County Wexford in news and sport, direct to your inbox

This field is required

Monageer-Boolavogue weren’t fazed, however, and kept in touch through points from Larry Murphy, Fionn Walsh, Peter Mernagh, Matthew Dunne and Diarmuid Fenlon.

They then struck the front with a goal in the 21st minute when Fionn Walsh picked up a loose ball and finished to the net past Neil Ennis.

Four minutes later they had their second major and again it was Walsh with the finish. After he gathered a pass from Peter Mernagh, he headed straight for goal and kicked the ball beyond the netminder.

Michael O’Hanlon converted two placed balls to pare a couple of points off the lead, but Peter Mernagh replied with two frees of his own, either side of a Seán Hunt point, to give Monageer-Boolavogue a 2-8 to 0-11 half-time advantage.

That lead was wiped out just over a minute after the restart when Declan Murphy picked out Jack Kehoe, who confidently finished to the net, although Monageer-Boolavogue responded well as Cathal Walsh and Peter Mernagh split the posts.

Declan Murphy caused the Monageer-Boolavogue defence plenty of problems with his direct running, while Jack Kehoe also made his mark, and both popped over points for Horeswood to ensure the sides were deadlocked after 47 minutes (2-13 to 1-16).

Monageer-Boolavogue looked to have finally shaken them off when an inspirational score from captain Niall O’Reilly was sandwiched between two Peter Mernagh frees.

Horeswood weren’t finished yet though, and Michael O’Hanlon converted a free with 60 minutes on the clock to give them hope, before Jamie Myler arrowed over a sweetly-struck sideline cut two minutes later.

O’Hanlon then stood over a difficult free on the left sideline in the fifth minute of injury time and sent it soaring between the posts to earn his side a last-gasp draw.

With both sides safely through to the last eight, improving league positions is all that’s up for grabs as Horeswood take on Oulart-The Ballagh in Taghmon on Friday at 7.30 p.m. and Monageer-Boolavogue travel to Bree to face Geraldine O’Hanrahans at the same time.

Horeswood: Neil Ennis; Eamonn O’Sullivan, Shane O’Hanlon (capt.), Gavin Murphy; Seán Hunt (0-1), Jamie Myler (0-1 line ball), Darragh Flannelly; Declan Murphy (0-2), Barry Hearn; Joe O’Sullivan (0-2), Jack Kehoe (1-3), Conor Foley, Michael O’Hanlon (0-10, 8 frees, 2 ’65s), Cathal Parker, Seán Stafford. Subs. - Shane Rowe for Flannelly (49), Dylan Whitty for Kehoe, inj. (52).

Monageer-Boolavogue: Morgan Gahan; Niall O’Reilly (capt., 0-1), Paddy Walsh, Liam Gahan; Rúairí Lacey, Brian O’Loughlin, Mick Sweeney; Larry Murphy (0-1), Cathal Walsh (0-1); Diarmuid Fenlon (0-2), Matthew Dunne (0-1), Páuric Walshe (0-1); Fionn Walsh (2-1), Peter Mernagh (0-7, 5 frees), Dean Fenlon. Subs. - Niall Finn (0-1) for O’Loughlin, inj. (18), Damien Fenlon for C. Walsh (38), Mark Walsh for Diarmuid Fenlon, inj. (57).

Referee: Matty Kinnaird (Rapparees).