| 21.5°C Dublin

Glynn-Barntown boys derail Oulart-The Ballagh challenge with goal burst


The successful Glynn-Barntown squad.

The successful Glynn-Barntown squad.

Joe Gilhooley strikes for Glynn-Barntown as Kevin Redmond (Oulart-The Ballagh) closes in.

Joe Gilhooley strikes for Glynn-Barntown as Kevin Redmond (Oulart-The Ballagh) closes in.


The successful Glynn-Barntown squad.


Glynn-Barntown 5-11 Oulart-The Ballagh 2-8

JUST WHEN Oulart-The Ballagh were charging at them like a steam train, Glynn-Barntown derailed the home side’s challenge with a three-goal burst between the 48th and 55th minutes to land the New Ross Standard Slíabh Coillte Under-17 hurling tournament Division 1 Cup crown in a lively final in Oulart.

All the momentum was with Oulart-The Ballagh as they closed to within 2-6 to 1-8 after 42 minutes.

But the visitors then broke the locals’ near-total stranglehold following half-time to suddenly put a gulf between the sides when reeling off 2-4 without reply as Cian Carty completed his hat-trick with two goals and Colin Carley netted a second.

This is Wexford Newsletter

A weekly update on the top stories from County Wexford in news and sport, direct to your inbox

This field is required

It saw Mickey Laffan’s charges atone for their loss to St. Martin’s in the equivalent football decider a week earlier.

Carty and Mark Walsh snapped Glynn-Barntown into an early two-point lead before Oulart-The Ballagh centre-forward Kian O’Connor flipped the game on its head when producing a superb individual goal on seven minutes – cutting in from the right wing on a mazy run before unleashing a lethal finish (1-0 to 0-2).

The red and blacks squandered a further goaling chance while asserting by 1-2 to 0-3, but Glynn-Barntown then took over for a spell to gain a scoreboard lead that they wouldn’t relinquish. Colin Carley grabbed the pivotal score when fielding a Cathal Sinnott clearance and darting in from the right corner to bat over-head to the net to help transform matters by 1-5 to 1-2 after 23 minutes.

Oulart-The Ballagh, fielding many of the past two Under-15 Division 1 county champions, remained game, with Jack Dunne simply outstanding from midfield, and he set up a Kian O’Connor point before Dunne crafted one himself from a clever line ball by Butler.

But the home side endured a blow just shy of half-time when Cian Carty finished to an empty Oulart-The Ballagh net after a bullet from Kevin Rowe had pinged off the left post, and that gave the visitors a 2-6 to 1-4 boost at the interval.

Oulart-The Ballagh gathered themselves brilliantly though as they dominated the third quarter almost completely when slowly but surely edging ever closer.

They got back to within that solitary point as Kian O’Connor posted three frees and defender-turned-attacker Aaron Royce’s 42nd-minute score brought them to within 2-6 to 1-8.

A rare Glynn-Barntown advance during this spell saw Jack McNamara foiled by ’keeper Rhys Wickham in attempting to find the unmarked Cian Carty with a ground pass.

The blue and greens gained what appeared momentary relief when wing-back Cathal Sinnott pointed them 2-7 to 1-8 clear on 43 minutes. A couple of Oulart-The Ballagh raids came to nought before the house began to cave in on them when Cian Carty netted his second goal after Carley had forced a save when a shot from Cillian Ferriter broke off an upright (3-7 to 1-8).

Within seconds Oulart-The Ballagh were lifted when Jack Dunne’s delivery from a free was fetched inside by Kian O’Connor and slammed home to cut the deficit back to two points, but Glynn-Barntown then rattled them that unanswered burst of 2-4.

Goalkeeper and captain Mark Kavanagh pointed a ’65 before Carley tipped home a delivery from the left flank on 53 minutes (4-8 to 2-8).

Two minutes later Carley seemed to be thwarted, but he managed to off-load for Cian Carty to net his third goal. Points from Carty (free), Cathal Sinnott and netminder Kavanagh (free) then crowned the remarkable winning surge to the pre-season title.

Glynn-Barntown: Mark Kavanagh (capt., 0-2, 1 ’65, 1 free); Fionn Nolan, Jack Sinnott, Evan Sweeney; Cathal Sinnott (0-2), Darragh Bates, Paul Denton; Cillian Ferriter, Ben Redmond; Joe Gilhooley (0-1), Kevin Rowe, Mark Walsh (0-1); Colin Carley (2-0), Cian Carty (3-5, 0-3 frees), Jack McNamara. Subs. – Rory Gallagher for Denton (56), Craig Laffan for Redmond (59), Tom Deevey for Nolan (59), Max Butler for Sinnott (60+1), Eoin Gleeson for Carley (60+1), also Rory Goff.

Oulart-The Ballagh: Rhys Wickham; Alex Howlin, Jake Stamp, Lee Doyle; Aaron Royce (0-1), Conor Blake (capt.), James O’Leary; Jack Dunne (0-1), Ben Harpur; William Harty, Kian O’Connor (2-5, 0-3 frees), Kevin Redmond; Peter Wickham, J.D. Masterson, Adam Butler (0-1). Subs. – Corey Dunne for Wickham (45), Matthew Ryan for Harty (59).

Referee: James Flood (St. Mary’s, Maudlintown).