| 9.9°C Dublin

Ballynastragh best

Polished performance seals crown


The celebrations begin for Ballynastragh Gaels.

The celebrations begin for Ballynastragh Gaels.



Dean Goodison, Ballynastragh Gaels captain Eoin Hughes and Des Croke.

Dean Goodison, Ballynastragh Gaels captain Eoin Hughes and Des Croke.

Ben Mordant (Ballynastragh Gaels) and Damhan Crawford (Glynn-Barntown).

Ben Mordant (Ballynastragh Gaels) and Damhan Crawford (Glynn-Barntown).


The celebrations begin for Ballynastragh Gaels.


BALLYNASTRAGH GAELS proved too strong for Glynn-Barntown as they took the Gorey Guardian Under-15 football Division 2 championship title in St. Patrick’s Park on Monday of last week.

The Gorey District side took some time to find their shooting boots, but once they got into their flow they proved to be a talented, powerful outfit from back to front. While their midfield duo of Jack Gethings and Eoin Hughes was dynamic and destructive, the basis for this win was the defence.

It’s expected of Ballynastragh at this stage but they prepare their teams, one after the other, with great detail. The technical aspects of the game are always on-point, and their stifling defence was both organised and extremely disciplined.

Glynn-Barntown battled right to the full-time whistle and in Cathal Sinnott they have a footballer with a fantastic shooting range, but they simply faced a team with too much quality this time.

This is Wexford Newsletter

A weekly update on the top stories from County Wexford in news and sport, direct to your inbox

This field is required

They took an early lead as the Kilanerin/Tara Rocks combination found their feet. Sinnott opened the scoring and Rory Gallagher also kicked a nice point as their side took a 0-2 to nil lead at the first water break.

A Craig Laffan minor after the resumption increased the lead further, but their opponents began to get into a flow. Three Jack Gethings points and a James Hughes point brought them level at 0-4 each after 28 minutes, but they would do further damage before the break.

They got their first goal when Cody Lawless soloed through the heart of the Glynn-Barntown defence and fired past Calum Kennedy. After Max Buggy pointed, the ‘keeper had to stop an Eoin Hughes shot but there was nothing he could do to prevent Buggy from netting in the next attack.

The half-time whistle came at a good time for a shellshocked Glynn-Barntown (2-5 to 0-4), and they were more compact after the break. Charlie Fleming and Gethings scores were cancelled out by a Sinnott brace initially.

Before the water break Ballynastragh added points from Lawless and Buggy and also saw Kennedy make an excellent penalty save from Gethings.

However, the Gaels controlled the final quarter as the substitutions flowed on with Lawless, Gethings (two) and Buggy wrapping up the title in style.

Ballynastragh Gaels: Naoise Byrne; Rory Cooper, Morgan Timmons, Fergal Noctor; Ben Mordaunt, Mikey Hughes, Vincent Higgins; Jack Gethings (0-6, 4 frees), Eoin Hughes; Charlie Fleming (0-1), Cody Lawless (1-2), Ben Furlong; Darragh Forde, Max Buggy (1-3), James Hughes (0-1). Subs. - Olan Tighe for J. Hughes (54), Conor Grannell for Higgins (59), Aaron Gethings for Fleming (59), Jack Ryan for Noctor (60+2), also Cathal Fitzpatrick, Ben Hughes, Ciarán Gethings, Harry O’Sullivan, Niall Harnett, Oliver Shannon (inj.), Patrick Rooney (inj.), Darragh Gethings (inj.).

Glynn-Barntown: Calum Kennedy; Andrew O’Brien, Fionn Nolan, Conor Reardon; Dermot Hogan, Colin Carley, Eoin Gleeson; Cillian Ferriter, Liam Cooney; Cathal Sinnott (0-4, 3 frees), Rory Gallagher (0-1), Damhan Crawford; Craig Laffan (0-1), Tom Cooney, Rory Goff. Subs. - Tom Deevy for O’Brien (30+2), Niall Taaffe for Goff (40), Stephen Bardgett for Deevy (48), Cian Donovan for Laffan (53), Rory Corley for Crawford (55), Shane Doyle for Hogan (55), Jarlath Kelly for Gleeson (57), Max Butler for T. Cooney (58), also Darragh Ryan, Enan Laffan, Luke Kidd.

Referee: Justin Heffernan (Blackwater).