Andrew Knox contributed greatly to Duncannon

The late Andrew (andy) Knox.

New Ross Standard

The death occurred recently of Duncannon man Andrew Knox in his 90th year.

Late of Clonsharra, Duncannon, Andrew died on April 26 at University Hospital Waterford following an illness.Andrew helped bring fame to Duncannon in 1962 during a curious incident involving the discovery of a Russian, sputnik type of satellite device which had spikes sticking out of it, in a field near the village.

The story goes that a large ‘explosion’ occurred late one night and, living nearby, Andrew witnessed the event unfold.

Gardaí were called and the Army were drafted in as there were fears it could explode. It turned out to be a ballcock, which someone went to the trouble of fitting a transmitter to it and lights to make it look real.

National and local press picked up on the story and Duncannon made the headlines.

Andrew, who will be sadly missed by all his relatives, neighbours and wide circle of friends, lived all his life in Clonsharra, growing up in the farming tradition.

The only child of James and Anastasia Knox, he always associated himself with Kilkenny, as well as Wexford – his mother hailing from the home of the Cats.

Having attended school locally, Andrew (or Andy as he was known) began sheep and tillage farming.

A man with a wide range of interests and hobbies, he loved reading, playing golf and tennis and was involved in a number of local groups over the years.

At a time when many Irish people didn’t travel abroad, Andy could be found exploring places as far flung as China, and loved travelling around Europe, heading off on extended trips.

A long time member of the Fine Gael party, Andy was very involved in election campaigns, working closely with Michael D’Arcy and John Paul Phelan.

He was up to speed with all the latest political developments and enjoyed canvassing for Fine Gael candidates at election time. He also worked as a Peace Commissioner, helping people in the south west Wexford area fill out forms and if they were in some difficulty.

As a family member said: “He enjoyed meeting up with people and helping people in any way he could. He went above and beyond for many people and did many a good turn for people.”Andy loved his house and minded it very well, taking similar care with himself, walking at Hook and on Duncannon beach regularly where he was an often seen smiling face.

He would walk his dog and stop and chat with people.

Andy was a regular mass-goer and would never miss his Sunday mass. He loved the community of the church and was a spiritual man.

Andy was a great neighbour and had so much time for everyone.

A private man, he always made the effort to stay in touch with friends and relatives, writing letters to them whether they lived in or far away. His neighbours were very fond of him and supported him in the final months of his life, ensuring he was able to remain at home – showing the kindness and love within the Duncannon community.

A large crowd attended Andy’s funeral mass at The Star of the Sea Church, Duncannon, where members of the Fine Gael party stood as a Guard of Honour, days after he was awarded a certificate from the party hierarchy for his dedication and service over several decades.

Fr John Nolan gave a beautiful homily and some old hymns Andy loved were performed.

Andy was laid to rest afterwards in the adjoining cemetery.

May he rest in peace.