Wexford

| 17°C Dublin

Two teenagers arrested in connection with huge Wexford blaze that took 23 firefighters five hours to put out

Close

A drone image of Sunday's fire in Castlebridge captured by Wexford Drone.

A drone image of Sunday's fire in Castlebridge captured by Wexford Drone.

Fire in Castlebridge Village on Sunday evening in the premises beside the Porter House.

Fire in Castlebridge Village on Sunday evening in the premises beside the Porter House.

Fire in Castlebridge Village on Sunday evening in the premises beside the Porter House.

Fire in Castlebridge Village on Sunday evening in the premises beside the Porter House.

Fire in Castlebridge Village on Sunday evening in the premises beside the Porter House.

Fire in Castlebridge Village on Sunday evening in the premises beside the Porter House.

/

A drone image of Sunday's fire in Castlebridge captured by Wexford Drone.

wexfordpeople

TWO thirteen year-olds have been arrested by gardaí in connection with a huge fire that ripped through a disused shed next door to the newly re-opened Porter House in Castlebridge, Co Wexford, on Sunday.

A crowd had to be evacuated from the pub and the road outside was closed for a long period as a total of 23 firefighters battled for some five hours to quench the huge blaze at the disused shed building next door. The pub had only re-opened on Friday under new management.

The alarm was sounded at 6 p.m. and members of the Fire Service and An Garda Síochána were on the scene within ten minutes. Their first task was to get the road closed off and move the large crowd of people that had gathered back from the scene of the fire, with large parts of metal sheeting beginning to fall from the roof.

This is Wexford Newsletter

A weekly update on the top stories from County Wexford in news and sport, direct to your inbox

This field is required

Five units of the fire service, two from Wexford town, two from New Ross and one from Enniscorthy rushed to the scene, along with a specialised hydraulic platform which was brought in from neighbouring Wicklow fire service. 

“It was a substantial blaze,” a spokesperson for the fire service said. “Thankfully, it was an abandoned building, but a considerable amount of work was involved to ensure that the fire didn’t spread to the pub and also we were aware that there was a large gas tank at the back of the building too.”

Luckily, nobody was injured during the course of the event and the pub was said to have been undamaged and re-opening today (Monday). Meanwhile, work continues this morning to tear down the charred remains of the shed building, owned by local man Myles Doyle.

Wexford gardaí confirmed that two teenagers, a 13 year-old girl and a 13 year-old boy had been arrested in connection with the blaze and were released pending further enquiries. A garda source said that nobody else is being sought in relation to the incident.

A source close to the case also confirmed that the fire was not connected to an incident that took place at the pub the previous day (Saturday). A dispute is allegedly arose after a young male was refused a drink and a commotion ensued with stools being thrown and doors damaged. People had to be moved outside briefly while management dealt with the incident with the help of some locals.

While the rumour mill suggested that the fire the following day may have been linked, it appears that this is not the case. Thankfully, there was no serious damage to the newly re-opened pub and they will be hoping to move on quickly from a difficult opening weekend.


Privacy