| 9.9°C Dublin

Wexford man who told gardaí to ‘f**k off’ is given a chance to escape conviction


Stock image.

Stock image.

Stock image.


A man from County Wexford who told gardaí to “f**k off” and also lashed out at them while in a patrol car was given a chance to escape having a conviction on is record, when his case went before Judge John Cheatle at a recent sitting of Gorey District Court.

Sean Watters, of 16 Etchingham Heights, Riverchapel, Courtown, is charged with engaging in threatening, abusive or insulting behaviour at Ramsfort Park, Gorey, on March 18, 2022.

Judge Cheatle heard evidence from Sergeant Victor Isdell that on the date mentioned gardaí were on duty at around 1.30 a.m. and observed the defendant unsteady on his feet and stumbling on the footpath.

The judge was told the accused told the gardaí to “f**k off” and Sgt Isdell said that when the defendant was put into the garda patrol car he became “extremely aggressive”.

This is Wexford Newsletter

A weekly update on the top stories from County Wexford in news and sport, direct to your inbox

This field is required

"He also took the seat belt off when in the patrol car,” said Sgt Isdell.

"He attempted to bite, kick and lash out towards gardaí in the back of the patrol car,” he added. "He continued to lash out.”

Sgt Isdell said that Garda Joseph Collins was struck in the face but wasn’t injured.

The defendant was represented in court by a barrister who said his client was on prescription medication and he had consumed a lot of alcohol on the date in question.

The court also heard the defendant is “extremely ashamed” by what happened and the barrister said: “He will not appear before the court again.”

He also said the accused hopes to travel in the future and asked Judge Cheatle to note that a guilty plea was entered in the case.

The judge then gave the accused an opportunity to pay €250 to Garda Collins and a similar amount to the Garda Benevolent Fund and said if that’s done he “would be a mind to strike out the case”.

Judge Cheatle then adjourned the case to June 1 for the payments to be made.