| 0.6°C Dublin

Bunclody man gets three month suspended prison sentence for assault


Wexford Courthouse.

Wexford Courthouse.

Wexford Courthouse.


CCTV showing an attack on a man who was left lying unconscious at a Bunclody service station was re-played at the Circuit Court.

Judge James McCourt presided over a sentencing hearing on assault accused Thomas Power (26), address given as Flat 1, City Fashions, Ryland Road, Bunclody.

The footage, introduced by Detective Garda Paul Hayes dated back to April 8 last year.

On that date, the mother of Dmitri Nacu drove her son to the Texaco service station after picking him up at the post office in Enniscorthy.

This is Wexford Newsletter

A weekly update on the top stories from County Wexford in news and sport, direct to your inbox

This field is required

She later told gardaí that, during the journey, he was in conversation on the phone with someone he called Tom about drugs.

She parked her wine coloured Mazda at the Texaco and a silver Volkswagen Golf pulled in shortly afterwards.

Nacu got out of the Mazda, to be joined by Jonathan Murphy from 3 Strawberry Hill, also in Bunclody.

The CCTV showed how the two men began scuffling, to be joined by Power and another man who both disembarked from the Golf.

The defendant fell to the ground with Nacu but could be seen getting back to his feet and giving Nacu a kick in the back.

Further punishment was delivered by Murphy who struck the man on the ground several times around the head.

The same footage was shown at a pervious sitting of the court when Murphy received a jail sentence.

After viewing the recording, Judge McCourt was convinced that Power was not the aggressor in chief.

The detective confirmed that the accused had six previous convictions two for possession of drugs and four for motoring offences.

Defence counsel Laura Cunningham stressed that her client's past record included no element of violence.

A father of two, Ms Cunningham continued, he had become homeless after gardaí who called looking for him in the wake of the attack on Nacu removed the door of his apartment.

'He came to the defence of his friend,' the barrister suggested while accepting that Power should not have become involved.

The judge recorded a three month prison sentence, suspended in full on the defendant agreeing to stay away, not only from Nacu, but also from his two companions on the day of the assault.