Sunday 19 August 2018

St Mary's win by one

St Mary's 0-17 Shamrock Gaels 1-13

At Kent Park

St Mary's secured a narrow one point win over Shamrock Gaels after Rory Guinan converted a controversial free deep into injury time to clinch victory in an exciting game played in Kent Park last Saturday.

St Mary's were made to fight all the way against a youthful Shamrock Gaels team however it should have been more comfortable for them having spurned a number of goal chances throughout the game. 

Darragh Hailstones opened the scoring for the Gaels with Paul Kilcoyne responding immediately for Mary's before the impressive Luke Nicholson pointed after a great run from the full back position.

Hailstones had a goal chance on six minutes which went wide of the post, however he had been fouled and converted the resultant free to leave the sides level. Cian Breheny restored St Mary's lead with a point on eight minutes after a great run through the heart of the Gaels defence. 

The Gaels kept in touch with points from James Carroll and another free from Hailstones. St Mary's however started to pull away and in an impressive ten minutes notched up four points in a row, three from Rory Guinan and one from Kyle Cawley to go five ahead.

The Gaels kept in touch with two late points from Hailstones and Ciaran O'Connor to leave three points between the teams at half time.  St Mary's had two goal chances in the closing stages of the half, the best falling to corner forward Adam Lynch who tried to side step the ball into an open goal only to see the ball roll wide.

Mary's lost Cian Breheny to injury at half time but did start the second half brightly with Paul Kilcoyne and Rory Guinan extending their lead with points in a free ridden opening ten minutes. St Mary's then had two more goal chances which they failed to convert, the first falling to Nathan Rooney coming in from the right at a tight angle but blazed wide on the far post. 

This was followed by a great save from Gaels keeper Mark Tuohy who palmed the ball over the bar from Adam Lynch. 

The Gaels on the other hand made no mistake at the other end with a well taken goal from Seamus Hailstones which was quickly followed by three points to bring the Gaels level on twenty minutes. 

In an exciting closing ten minutes, the Gaels went ahead on four separate occasions only for St Mary's to draw level each time. 

The Gaels were level going into injury time when for the second time in the game they conceded a free after a kick out did not make the 21 yard line. 

In the corresponding hop ball, referee Michael Duffy awarded a free to St Mary's which resulted in a simple tap over for Rory Guinan to give St Mary's their second one point win of the league.

Sligo Champion