| 10.5°C Dublin

Two Sligo teams progress in Connacht Cup as Calry Bohs and Cartron win, Aughanagh and Strand yet to play

Ballymote Celtic and Benbulben are through to the next round of the Connacht Shield.


Dylan Streete tackles David Barlow during Calry Bohs' Connacht Cup win over Arrow Harps on Sunday. Pic: Donal Hackett.

Dylan Streete tackles David Barlow during Calry Bohs' Connacht Cup win over Arrow Harps on Sunday. Pic: Donal Hackett.

Dylan Streete tackles David Barlow during Calry Bohs' Connacht Cup win over Arrow Harps on Sunday. Pic: Donal Hackett.


Calry Bohs and Cartron United were the only two Sligo/Leitrim DSL teams to progress from their Connacht Cup 4th round games over the weekend.

Aughanagh Celtic are in action in the Connacht Cup 4th round next weekend, while Strand Celtic will play their game on February 19th having been re-instated despite losing to Castlerea on penalties.

Calry Bohs were 5-0 winners over fellow Sligo side Arrow Harps, while Cartron United were 1-0 winners over Galway third division side Oughterard.

Carbury were so close to a giant killing against the Connacht Cup champions of the last two years, Salthill Devon, having twice come from behind to bring the game to 2-2.

The 2022 Sligo Southern Hotel Super League champions went home feeling as though they left this one behind them after the squandered numerous opportunities, and ended up losing 3-2 having been the better team.

The Sligo town side got off to the worst possible start, as Matty Murray struck with just three minutes on the clock to put the hosts ahead.

This is Sligo Newsletter

A weekly update on Sligo's leading stories in news and sport, straight to your inbox

This field is required

Carbury had to withstand a nervy opening few minutes until they finally got to grips with the Galway champions, who were without former Sligo Rovers striker Vinny Faherty on the day.

John Feeney’s side worked their way back into the game on 9 minutes having survived a few early scares, as two former Salthill Devon players linked up with Jason Lyons’ ball coming to Niall Brennan, with the Ballymote native firing home.

But seconds later, Salthill restored their lead with an incredible goal from 30 yards as Carbury lost the ball in midfield, with Murray finding the space to pick out his effort from distance, giving Mark Rooney no chance in the Carbury goals.

But, at this stage, it was Carbury who began to take control and were certainly looking the most likely to score.

Playing some incredible football, Carbury had all the ball with the Salthill netminder kept busy, although he managed to keep out several efforts from Carbury, something they would later live to regret.

A Carbury free-kick on 21 minutes caused some confusion, hitting the crossbar and bouncing back out, but there was nowhere nearby to pounce on the loose ball.

A lovely one-two between Chris Kelly and Tyler Stallard created an opening for the latter down the right hand side, but his effort was well saved by the goalkeeper.

Jason Lyons hit the side netting on 32 minutes as Carbury worked the channels brilliantly.

On 44 minutes Aaron Murren picked out Ross McLoughlin in the middle who then found Niall Brennan with the effort forced wide by the goalkeeper.

Rian Gorman’s header from a corner was poked goalwards, but again the keeper made the save.

After the re-start, it was again all Carbury who were working hard to find an equaliser.

Murren’s cross was headed over by Lyons, before a free kick from Murren came to Mark McGoldrick but again the goalkeeper did well to make the save.

They were finally rewarded on 68 minutes. Lyons and Brennan again linked up, with Lyons’ cross blasted into the net by Brennan.

Carbury thought they were ahead moments later when Lyons broke through on the goal, and with just the goalkeeper to beat, he couldn’t beat him.

And at this stage, Salthill’s fitness was starting to show, while the influential Ross McLoughlin was forced off through injury for Carbury who were under pressure for the last few minutes.

With 8 minutes left on the clock, Salthill found the winner as they cut the Carbury defence open, with substitute Prince tucking home to take the win.

In the end; it was a heartbreaking defeat for Carbury who played some of their best football this season in what was a superb performance.

Elsewhere, Manorhamilton Rangers suffered a heavy 8-2 defeat at home at the hands of Galway Premier side Colga, while Cloonfad came from behind to beat MCR 3-2.

In the Connacht FA shield, Ballymote Celtic have progressed to the 3rd round following a 2-0 win over Castlebar Celtic’s B team.

Benbulben are also through having beaten Loughrea Rams B 7-2.