Sunday 25 August 2019

Parkes misses penalty as Rovers draw with Waterford

Sligo Rovers 0 Waterford 0

Jessica Farry

Romeo Parkes missed a penalty as Sligo Rovers drew 0-0 with Waterford at The Showgrounds on Saturday evening.

The Bit O'Red were reduced to ten men in the last few minutes as Dante Leverock received his second yellow card of the game.

With St. Patrick's Athletic not playing over the weekend due to their involvement in European football, Rovers knew that a victory over Alan Reynolds' men would see them move to within three points of fourth spot.

The visitors, on the other hand, would have been hoping for victory against Rovers in order to move to within four points of Rovers in sixth place.

With Lewis Banks missing the game through suspension and Regan Donelon out injured, Liam Buckley handed a debut to new signing Danny Kane.

Likewise, Alan Reynolds named Michael O'Connor in his starting 11 for his Waterford debit having joined on loan during the week from Linfield.

Rovers went on the attack almost immediately, but a block from Maxim Kouogun kept Ronan Coughlan's shot away from goal.

Matthew Connor made a comfortable save from Ronan Murray's long-range effort, before Tom Holland's ball was nodded over the O'Connor.

Rovers were given an excellent opportunity to take the lead on 18 minutes when O'Connor was adjudged to have fouled Kane in the Waterford box, with referee Rob Harvey pointing to the spot.

Up stepped Romeo Parkes, who sent his spot-kick right into the arms of Connor, before the Waterford native did well to force Murray's shot from the rebound wide of the target.

Rovers faded slightly after the penalty miss, which seemed to give the visitors a new lease of life.

JJ Lunney dragged his shot wide, before the excellent Cory Galvin hit the post from a difficult angle early in the second-half.

The Southerners were looking the most likely to score, with Kouogun somehow missing the target from a few yards out, saving the blushes of the Rovers defence.

Rovers' task became even more difficult on 86 minutes when Leverock was handed his second yellow card of the evening for a tackle on Galvin, having been booked earlier for a challenge on Dean O'Halloran.

Although Waterford came close on a number of occasions, they were unable to find that elusive winner.

Rovers now take on Derry City at the Ryan McBride Brandywell Stadium on Friday evening and are likely to be without a number of players through suspension, Leverock being one of those to miss out.

Niall Morahan is away with the Republic of Ireland Under 19 squad.

Sligo Rovers: Ed McGinty, Johnny Dunleavy, Kyle Callan-McFadden, Dante Leverock, Danny Kane; Daryl Fordyce (John Russell, 68), David Cawley, Kris Twardek, Ronan Murray (John Mahon, 87), Romeo Parkes; Ronan Coughlan (Sam Warde, 61). Subs: Luke McNicholas, Brian Morley, Liam Kerrigan, Scott Lynch.

Waterford: Matthew Connor; Rory Feely, Kenny Browne, Maxim Kouogun, Kevin Lynch (Georgie Poynton,56); Shane Duggan, JJ Lunney, Tom Holland; Michael O'Connor, Dean O'Halloran (William Fitzgerald ,76), Cory Galvin. Subs: Paul Martin, Colm Whelan, Dean Walsh, John Martin.

Referee: Rob Harvey.

Sligo Champion