Sunday 19 January 2020

League returns to action

Mark McGoldrick of Carbury in action with Cliffoney Celtic’s Jason Brennan. Pic: Carl Brennan
Mark McGoldrick of Carbury in action with Cliffoney Celtic’s Jason Brennan. Pic: Carl Brennan

All clubs were back in action after the festive three-week break and some handled it better than others.

Carbury leading the way in the Sligo Southern Hotel Super League welcomed North Sligo's Cliffoney Celtic to Forthill. Mark Rooney opened the scoring on thirty-six minutes for Carbury and Ryan McManus made it two nil six minutes later. Cliffoney responded a minute from half time when Diarmuid Gallagher fired home to give the Northsiders a fighting chance.

Carbury went further ahead on sixty minutes with a fine goal from Mark McGoldrick and a penalty two minutes later converted by Ryan McManus left Carbury in poll position but four minutes later Gary O'Connor netted for Cliffoney.

This gave the away side added vigour and they went all out in attack mode and were rewarded on seventy-six minutes when Cahill Kelly scored to bring Cliffoney within one goal of at least a draw.

The game was now nip and tuck with the opportunity for either side to score another crucial goal and in injury time that opportunity fell to Carbury's Niall Brennan who made no mistake with a clinical finish that keeps Carbury top of the table on goal difference, but what a display from Cliffoney.

Cartron United in second spot kept the pressure up winning at home in Mac Sharry Park by three goals to nil against St Johns FC on Saturday night.

Jake Hargadon opened the scoring on twenty-five minutes, then five minutes into the second half and John Harte made it two nil and on ninety minutes making his debut for his new club Malachy Spratt ex Merville United slotted home the third for Cartron United.

Manorhamilton Rangers got a very late call of a no show from Merville United which results in a walk over to Manor Rangers.

Strand Celtic won by the odd goal in three on their visit to Sean Fallon Park Cranmore against MCR.

Ciaran Harvey put MCR ahead in the first half and MCR were well in control.

Then on seventy-five minutes Fergal O'Hara hit a brilliant equaliser for Strand and it was game on.

MCR seemed to drop the pace while Strand grew stronger and were rewarded two minutes into injury time when Daniel Gray Harrigan hit a magnificent winner.

The only incident of the game was Keith Nibbs sending off for MCR.

Aughanagh Celtic welcomed Glenview Stars to Ballinafad with the visitors hitting the front after three minutes with a goal from Ronan O'Grady.

Celebrations however were short lived with Kieran O'Connor blasting home a hat trick before half time for Aughanagh Celtic.

The second half saw Aughanagh Celtic in total control with goals from Kieran Kilfeather, Marcus Guckian, Dillon McDermot and Darragh Hailstones completing a fine day's work for Aughanagh Celtic.

Real Tubber continue to dominate in the Sligo Pallets Premier League with yet another big win this time away to Gurteen Celtic who played this fixture on the Astro at Ballisodare.

Real Tubber had all the fire power with Brian Morahan, Jason Dwyer and Raffaele Cretaro each hitting two goals with Sean Kerrigan and Daniel both adding a goal apiece to round off a high scoring game for the league leaders.

Dylan Walsh scored both of Gurteen Celtic's goals and despite the goal difference Gurteen gave a good account of themselves.

Second placed Ballymote Celtic welcomed Ballygawley Celtic to Brother Walfrid Park and the home side emerged victorious by the odd goal in three.

Daniel Clarke and Jack Hever were the hit men for Ballymote Celtic while James Mackey was on target for Ballygawley Celtic.

However, this means a mouth watering clash next Sunday when Real Tubber are at home to Ballymote Celtic.

It's a must win for Real Tubber if they hope to lift the Premier title but Ballymote Celtic are the dark horses, five points behind Real Tubber.

Ballymote have three games in hand and can only lose it themselves.

Victory for either side next Sunday will just raise the tension with many games yet to come, but should Ballymote take a point it will cause major damage to the aspirations of Real Tubber.

The Riverstown boys Arrow Harps got back to winning ways thanks to the only goal of the game with Calry Bohs.

After ten minutes at Riverstown, a brilliant header from Luke Flynn hit the back of the Calry Bohs net that in the end secured all three points for Arrow Harps.

Yeats United hit a high five at Danny McGinley Memorial Park Carney against visitors Coolaney United.

Donal Fidgeon hit a hat trick with Darragh Gaule and Sam Carton adding a goal apiece.

Coolaney United had Paul Finnerty red carded.

Chaffpool United welcomed Carrick Town to Bunninadden for their encounter.

Paul Connolly hit a hattrick for the Pool with a goal each from Joe Perry and Criostoir Davey rounding of the scoring for the Pool who led two nil at half time.

However the town hit back in the second half with a goal each from Jack Barnes and Ryan Duarte.

This levelled matters only to see the Pool edge them out late in the second half.

Sligo Champion