Thursday 18 July 2019

Football returns with a flourish

Ronan O’Grady of Glenview Stars in action with Carbury’s Gerry Brennan in Forthill on Sunday in the Super League. Pic: Donal Hackett
Ronan O’Grady of Glenview Stars in action with Carbury’s Gerry Brennan in Forthill on Sunday in the Super League. Pic: Donal Hackett

Football returned with a bang after the Christmas break at the weekend. Carbury still remain the only unbeaten side in the Sligo Southern Hotel Super League. They had what appeared a tough challenge away to Glenview Stars on Forthill and after forty-five minutes this proved the case with only a Mark McGoldrick goal separating both sides.

But Stars without the suspended Damien Shannon and Seamus O'Boyle found the going hard in the second half and Carbury's pedigree came to the fore. Gareth Kelly nailed a superb hat trick, Mark McGoldrick adding his second goal Gary Armstrong netting twice and Gary Finan scoring as well to see Carbury run out comfortable winners. Stars never gave up competing and Jake Carty scored their only goal five minutes from time. One must mention Stars net minder Sergio Gomez despite the high score Sergio took off a string of amazing saves and Stars with a full side will win more than they lose in the games to come especially with this man between the sticks.

MCR FC are pushing hard in second spot they welcomed Ballymote Celtic to Sean Fallon Park and what a game we had with MCR eventually emerging winners by the odd goal in five. Ballymote Celtic were in top form taking the lead through Colm Duffy after twenty minutes and held this until the 60th minute.

A free kick was awarded to MCR and captain Gary Rooney stepped up to fire the ball high into the Ballymote Celtic net for a brilliant equaliser.

A minute later and a superb cross from Ciaran Harvey was met by leading scorer Ryan McManus who made no mistake from close range.

MCR were now in the driving seat and ten minutes from time Stephen Armstrong added a third goal for MCR.

Ballymote Celtic despite the setback never gave up and were rewarded three minutes from time when Zak O'Dowd netted to give Ballymote Celtic a lifeline. However the MCR rear guard stood tall to claim in the end three great points.

Strand Celtic are in third place just one point behind MCR and they put on a powerful display at home to Merville United.

Man-of-the-match Mark McCallion hit four first half goals to leave Strand in the driving seat.

Tyler Stallard hit a superb volley to give Merville United a glimmer of hope.

The second half however saw Strand continue to dominate and a goal each from Aaron O'Boyle and Declan Brennan saw it six of the best for Strand and it could have been seven but for the Merville net minder Kyle Crawley who saved a penalty from Fergal O'Hara in superb fashion.

Leitrim Kingpins Manor Rangers welcomed Aughanagh Celtic to the Bee Park Manorhamilton both sides with two very strong sides to select from.

Seamus Kane fired Aughanagh Celtic into the lead ten minutes from half time with Vincent Sweeney levelling matters just before the break.

The second half was seven minutes old and Aughanagh Celtic again took the lead through Marcus Guckian and it was all to do for Manor Rangers. But the Leitrim boys responded well and Seamus Ryder grabbed the equaliser on sixty four minutes.

Both sides continued to attack and the all-important goal was struck fourteen minutes from time when Adrian Croal rifled home the winner for a jubilant Manor Rangers.

Cartron United remain the only unbeaten side in the Andrew Mullen Sligo Pallets Premier league. They welcomed South Sligo side Real Tubber to the Ray MacSharry Park. The first half saw both defences rock solid and it was all square at the break.

Cartron United went ahead from the penalty spot on sixty-one minutes with Gavin Sweeney on target.

Five minutes later and it was two nil when John Harte netted.

Cartron were now well in control and Patrick Heraughty wrapped things up on ninety minutes when he scored the third goal for the home side. It was all over now. Three minutes into injury time Real Tubber's Brian Morahan received a red card before the end of the game.

St Johns FC are looking good for promotion in second place. They were away to Tireragh FC and emerged winners in a great encounter. The home side lead at the break thanks to a penalty from Stephen Feeney. St Johns upped the tempo in the second half and Malcolm Reilly levelled matters then Michael Doyle put St John's into the lead with Evan Davey striking the third and killer goal that ensured three great points for St John's.

North Sligo's Cliffoney Celtic made the trip to Riverstown a winning one hitting the Riverstown Masters for six without reply.

A hat trick for Alan Gregg aided and abetted with a goal each from Bartley Clancy, Jason Brennan and Blair Foley.

Arrow Harps were away to Coolaney United in a crunch game with three points a vital commodity to maintain both clubs trust for honours. Arrow Harps were first out of the blocks and led by three goals to one at the break courtesy of a hat trick from sharp shooter Daniel Willis. Sean Walsh netting for Coolaney United.

Arrow Harps continued to dominate and went further ahead after the break through Frankie Quinn. Coolaney United continued to battle and Sean Doyle cracked home a fine goal. Harps however were in unforgiving mode and Ben Touhy added their fifth goal to put the cherry on the top.

Coolaney scored once more with a fine strike from Denis Kozyrau but the day and the points belonged to Arrow Harps.

Gurteen Celtic moved into ninth position on the leader board after a great win at home to Benbulben FC. Goals from Paul Baker, Shane Gallagher, Tony Taylor and Jasper Grzenda doing all the damage. Anthony Moylette scoring the only goal for the visitors Benbulben FC.

Sligo Champion