Wednesday 17 January 2018

Double from Matthews is real deal for Tubber

Aclare Celtic who beat Gurteen Celtic in the Connacht Cup on Sunday last.
Aclare Celtic who beat Gurteen Celtic in the Connacht Cup on Sunday last.

ALAN HENRY'S runaway Premier League leaders, Real Tubber, recorded another vital win when they took on mid tabled Boyle Celtic Reserves on Saturday evening.

Ferghal Mc Donagh scored one while the Premier League's leading goalscorer Stephen Mathews bagged a brace to bring his tally for the season to 1, two goals clear of his nearest challenger Boyle Celtic Reserves Dermot Beggan who added one to his tally by netting the consolation for Celtic.

The Dromore Villa V Carrick Town game was postponed due to adverse weather conditions. Manor Rangers and Cliffoney Celtic battled out a 0-0 draw at the All Weather Pitch on Saturday evening.

Dessie O Connor's north Sligo outfit staying just above the drop zone. Chaffpool Utd. Manager John Scanlon had a good day at the office when his side got the better of Colm Reddington's Strand Celtic Reserves in the South Sligo Venue and move three points clear of the Seasiders courtesy of a 4-2 home win. Colm Henry scored twice while Brendan Brogan and Raymond O Grady completed the scoring for Utd. Daniel Maye and Conor McGowan on target for The Strand Celtic Reserve side.


Coolaney Utd. failed to capitalise on their comprehensive win over Merville Utd last weekend, they travelled to Riverstown this week and ended up getting beaten 5-3 by Paschal Duignan's Arrow Harps. Ethan Crawley scored a hat-trick while Daniel Hargadon bagged a brace. John Ellis, Martin Devany and Anthony Walsh netting one each for Coolaney Utd. Promotion seeking Merville Utd. were at home to Enda Maxwell's Leitrim Villa and there was no scarcity of goals in this fully charged battle.

Division One leading goalscorer David Blain was firing on all cylinders putting the ball in the Villa net on no less than four occasions, Simon Gilmartin and Caoilin O Grady hit one each with French sensation Alex bagging a brace. Brian Gilroy and two from Alan Gaffney for The Leitrim Men saw the result finish 8-3 to Frank Mc Garry's Sligo Town Side.


There were mixed fortunes for local sides in the Connacht Cup 3RD Round ties this weekend.

City Utd were awarded a walkover when Mayo League side Hollister failed to field. Shiven Rovers beat Ballygawley Celtic 3-1, Keith Hennessey scoring the consolation goal.

Tommy Gaughan's Aclare Celtic stuck to the bottom of the Cleary Landscapes Div. One overcame Stephen Mc Coy's Premier League Strugglers Gurteen Celtic. Brian Walsh was on target twice with one each from Owen Fleming and Kevin Cawley for the South Sligo outfit, Michael Doddy with the consolation goal for Gurteen Celtic.

Strand Celtic and Kilglass Inishscrone both struggling in the Super league met in the Connacht Cup and it was Maurice Monaghan's beachcombers that claimed the bragging rights and progress to the fourth round winning 3-0. Johnny Davey scored on the double and ever present Gary Melly with the third without reply.

M.C.R. F.C were at home to Colemanstown Utd in Sean Fallon Park where a minutes silence was observed in memory of the late Sligo man and former Sligo Rovers, Glasgow Celtic and Ireland International Sean Fallon who passed away this week.

The visitors led 0-3 at half time and. John Lynch' s men dominated the second hale and pulled three goals back through,, Kieran Harvey, Graham Irwin and Gary Funsteon, however Utd, went ahead late on in the game and then scored a fifth deep into injury time to finish up winning 35.

St Johns F.C beat Snugboro 1-0 by way of a super strike from second half substitute Shane Stenson.

Aughanagh Celtic V St Patricks and Ballymote Celtic V Ballaghaderreen were both postponed. Calry Bohs were beaten by the odd goal in three. Boyle Celtic were inspired by Niall Brennan and progress to the next stage following a 4-1 win over Skyvalley Rovers, Brennan himself scored a hat-trick and Owen O Donoghue hit the fourth. Cartron Utd travelled to Castlebar and took on the winners of last season's Connacht Shield Ballyheane. The tie ended all square after extra time and the Mayo side came out the better side of the dreaded penalty shoot out winning 5-4.


Glenview Stars were at home in Forthill to Ballyglass ant the tie ended 3-3 after extra time, Seamie O'Boyle, Chris Mc Donaghand aKenneth Barlow scoring for the home side but the hero of the day was Stars keeper Stephen Heraughty who saved two penalties in the shoot-out to see O'Boyle's Glenview Stars go through to the next round. Easkey Harps were handed a 5-0 defeat by Partry Celtic

Promoted Links

Promoted Links