Wednesday 13 December 2017

Cup fever hots up with goalfest

Ryan Hargadon of Merville in action against Lough Harps in Cleveragh at the weekend. Pic: Carl Brennan
Ryan Hargadon of Merville in action against Lough Harps in Cleveragh at the weekend. Pic: Carl Brennan

The quarter Finals of the FAI Junior Cup saw Boyle Celtic make the long journey to Carrick On Suir County Tipperary to take on Carrick United.

At stake a place in the FAI Junior Cup semi-finals. Boyle Celtic having progressed out of Connacht were at home to VEC FC Terenure Dublin in the 7th Round a game Boyle Celtic won well to earn this massive opportunity to advance to the last four.

Boyle were brilliant and led by two goals to one on ninety minutes thanks to the brilliance of Michael Corrigan who scored both goals.

But just as it seemed Boyle Celtic would win disaster struck when the ball broke badly in their penalty area and Carrick United got their out of jail ticket.

Both sides could not be separated after extra time and it went to the dreaded penalty shoot-out.

This had happened to Boyle in a previous encounter away to Ballina Town when Kyle Suffin saved three penalties, one could only hope for a similar outcome. Boyle were magnificent and the hero of the day was once again Suffin when he saved the last penalty that fired Boyle Celtic onto the semi-finals of the FAI Junior Cup what an historic day for The Boys from Boyle.

The local scene was dominated this weekend with the start of Cup Fever the W B Yeats Radisson Blu Hotel & Spa Sligo got under way with some exciting clashes. League leaders Carbury travelled to Brother Walfrid Park to take on Ballymote Celtic.

The league toppers proved too strong on the day with a powerful display resulting in seven goals to one victory.

Dylan Edwards scoring a hat trick with Ibrahim Savage notching two fine goals and one apiece from Gary Finan and Gavin Butler earning Carbury a place in the quarter finals away to St John's.

Ballymote Celtic scored once through the hitman Mark Irwin. Ballisodare United entertained Aughanagh Celtic at the Astro Cleveragh and it proved to be an absolute cracker. It was all even at half time,

Ballisodare took the lead immediately after the break when super sub Andrew Patton netted. Seven minutes from time Aughanagh Celtic levelled matters when Paul McTiernan fired home from the penalty spot.

Two minutes later and Ballisodare were ahead again when stalwart Kevin O'Hara scored. Once again Aughanagh Celtic fought back and two minutes from full time Dermot Beggan netted to bring the game into extra time. Both sides went all out for that elusive goal and five minutes from time Captain Marvel Darragh Healy latched onto a great ball from Andrew Patton to fire home a brilliant winner to book their place in the Semi-finals.

Yeats United were at home to high flying Strand Celtic at Danny McGinley Park Carney and what a game it turned out to be.

Yeats United hit Strand for four without reply Ciaran Mc Loughlin, John Hestor, Paul Logan and Liam Bell on target for the Yeats men that books their place in the semi-finals. A bad result for Strand who also had Paul Devin's, Ciaran O'Boyle and Ryan McManus sent off all for second yellow card offences by referee Ray Flynn.

The Robert Cawley Memorial Cup had the clash of the North Sligo Giants Benbulben and Cliffoney Celtic in a rip-roaring encounter at Grange.

The large crowd were not disappointed with both sides playing an open attacking game.

Cliffoney went ahead on twenty-five minutes with an opportunist goal from Gary O'Connor.

Despite this Benbulben fought all the way and held the score line until the last sixteen minutes when goal poacher supreme Alan Harrison snapped on the half chance from close range to book a home game in the quarter finals for the North Sligo kingpins.

Ballygawley Celtic soaring to new heights in the Premier League took on MCR at the Astro Cleveragh on Saturday night in what proved to be a very exciting encounter.

MCR won well thanks to a goal each from Andrew Tiernan, Ciaran Harvey and Joe Cobbe.

Ballygawley Celtic also had two players dismissed on sixty minutes Colm McTiernan and seven minutes from time John Paul Henry.

MCR now advance to the quarter finals while Ballygawley Celtic will concentrate on the Premier Title. Carrick Town advanced after receiving a walk over from Chaffpool United. Arrow Harps were at home in Riverstown to visitors Dromore Villa, two young sides with a lot of talent on display.

Arrow Harps proved the stronger with Daniel Willis netting a sublime hat trick and Andy Flynn scored twice.

The Villa netted twice with excellent finishing from Conor Gordon.

In the T P Brennan Connacht Shield Merville United were at home to Lough Harps of Roscommon.

Four goals from Graham Irwin and a goal each from Stephen Keenan and Jordan Muldoon captured a great victory for Merville

While Real Tubber entertained NUIGB for their clash in round two.

Real Tubber advance courtesy of two goals each from Fergal McDonagh and Aaron Murtagh.

NUIGB scored with a goal each from Thomas Barnwell, Mark Bane and Killian Quinn.

Sligo Champion

Promoted Links

Promoted Links