| 23.2°C Dublin

Cartron push on, four teams battle for top in Premier League


Calry Bohs v Glenview Stars: Clive Brennan comes under pressure from Thomas Mulligan. Pic: Donal Hackett.

Calry Bohs v Glenview Stars: Clive Brennan comes under pressure from Thomas Mulligan. Pic: Donal Hackett.

Calry Bohs v Glenview Stars: Clive Brennan comes under pressure from Thomas Mulligan. Pic: Donal Hackett.


Cartron United stretched their lead at the top of The Sligo Southern Hotel Super League as they overcame MCR 2-0, while nearest challengers Carbury’s outing to Cliffoney was postponed due to a waterlogged pitch.

Enda Mc Gowan fired Cartron ahead from the penalty spot after twenty minutes and from then on Cartron controlled matters and fourteen minutes from time a twenty five yard screamer from Donal Gallagher flew past the MCR net minder Tony Clarke and sealed a brilliant victory for Cartron leaving them seven points clear at the top of the leader board.

Carbury have three games in hand on the league leaders.

Strand Celtic continue to impress. They hosted Real Tubber at the Showgrounds Astro on Saturday night.

Real Tubber started the better and hit the post on 15 minutes from a free kick. Seven minutes later Aaron Perry of Real Tubber drew a great save from Cian Basquille in the Strand goals.

Against the run of play Strand took the lead on twenty-five minutes thanks to a tidy Dylan Martin finish.

This is Sligo Newsletter

A weekly update on Sligo's leading stories in news and sport, straight to your inbox

This field is required

Strand doubled their lead five minutes from half time with a well worked move finished with a superb strike from Cormac Correira.

On fifty minutes Cian Basquille made another great save, determined to keep a clean sheet on his last appearance before he leaves for America.

Dylan Martin got his second goal not long after this and on 78 minutes he completed his hat trick to keep the match ball as well as wrapping all three points for Strand.

Manor Rangers moved their fixture against Aughanagh Celtic to the Astro in Dromahair and the Leitrim side eventually emerged winners by the odd goal in nine. Paddy Woulfe scoring twice with a goal apiece from Cian Rock, Cathal O Connell and Diarmuid Giblin sealed the points.

John Craig opened the scoring for Aughanagh Celtic he was aided and abetted with a double strike from Seamus Hailstones and a penalty executed by Daniel Willis.

Ballisodare United were at home to Ballymote Celtic and a goal each from Dylan Lacken and Ronan Sweeney secured all three points for the boys from Ballisodare.

Merville United moved their fixture against Arrow Harps to Ray Mac Sharry Park and were three goals to the good on sixty minutes. Conor Lynch, Ryan Hargadon and Thomas Meyers all on target for a free flowing Merville United. Arrow Harps were back in the hunt sixteen minutes from time when Shane Deignan netted and three minutes from time Deignan added his second goal but, in the end, Merville ran out deserving winners in a great game.

St Johns maintain their strangle hold at the top of the Andrew Mullen Sligo Pallets Premier League. They had a tough task on their hands away to Kilglass Enniscrone United but a well-disciplined St Johns took all three points in a hotly contested encounter.

St Johns took the lead on ten minutes courtesy of Jack Canning with Kilglass/Enniscrone reduced to ten when Peter Buckley was dismissed.

St Johns drove forward netting twice more courtesy of Donal Fidgeon and Aaron Tiernan. Kilglass Enniscrone United scored once with a well taken goal from Paul Tighe but the points and the leader board all belong to St Johns at present.

Coolaney United moved into second spot winning well at home to Geevagh young guns Valley Rovers.

Cathal Davey continued his blistering form with a hat trick for Coolaney bringing his league tally to twenty-one goals in eleven games while Ciaran Mc Murray and Declan Mc Cormack rounded off the scoring for a superb Coolaney United who with two games in hand of the leaders have it all to play for.

Valley Rovers’ scorers were Jake Tobin and Ciaran Jennings.

Calry Bohs welcomed Glenview Stars to Hazelwood knowing a win would put them back on track at the top of the leader board. Glenview Stars also knew that a win here would see them right at the top of the tree so the stakes could not be higher for both sides.

Darragh Gaule opened the account for Stars on seven minutes, and the sides were level eight minutes later when Eoghan Doherty equalised for Bohs.

Ten minutes from half time and Scott Mc Loughlin fired Stars into the lead and he was on hand eleven minutes into the second half to score that killer third goal for a Stars side now brimming with confidence.

Calry Bohs could not find a way back and when referee Glenn Gilmartin gave Bohs Paddy Heraughty his marching orders it was the end of the game for him and Calry Bohs.

Benbulben FC entertained Ballygawley Celtic with Anthony Moylette netting for Benbulben. A double strike from Conor Healy and a goal apiece from Gerard Murphy and James Mackey ensured all three points for Ballygawley Celtic.

Chaffpool United with a goal each from Eoin Carty, Paul Connolly and Luke Byrne took all three points at home to Dromahair who scored once through Sean Foley.

Carrick Town moved their fixture against Gurteen Celtic to the astro at Dromahair with a 1pm kick-off. The Town were in excellent form with Brendan Gunning scoring twice and a goal apiece for Shane Beirne and David Regan securing all three points for the Town.

Ross Donovan and Shane O Grady were on the mark for Gurteen Celtic but on the day they were out gunned by a well drilled Carrick Town.