Friday 24 May 2019

Carbury retain Glasshouse Cup

Carbury 2 Manor Rangers 0 (after extra time)

Jessica Farry

Carbury retained The Glasshouse Hotel Cup on Sunday at MacSharry Park, but they needed extra-time to overcome a determined Manorhamilton Rangers side.

The heroics of Paul Scanlon in the Manor goal kept Carbury at bay, particularly in the second-half when the Sligo town side were well on top.

Conditions were difficult on the day and certainly made matters tougher for both sides.

It was the Leitrim men who had the first shot of the game, but Brian McDonald did not trouble Mark Rooney in the Carbury goal as he sent his effort wide.

Rooney did have to be alert on 11 minutes when McDonald again tried his luck, the Carbury 'keeper saved well, though.

A dangerous corner from Aaron Murren was forced away by Scanlon in goals, but only as far as Gary Armstrong who couldn't keep his effort on target.

On 20 minutes, Carbury almost took the lead when Armstrong's cross landed nicely for Colm Jinks, but he couldn't keep his effort down.

Some lacklustre defending from John Feeney's side allowed former Sligo Rovers underage player Ruadhan Feeney through on goal, but his shot drifted wide.

After the re-start, Carbury certainly took the reins, but not before a couple of decent moves from Manor.

An excellent interception from Johnny Martyn in the Carbury rearguard prevented McDonald from getting the shot away from close range.

Mark McGoldrick, Ross McLoughlin and Armstrong all saw efforts saved by the impressive Scanlon, before Niall Brennan got on the end of a Murren corner, just sending it wide.

An excellent shot from Alan Hickey from distance looked as though it was heading for the back of the net, but it was just off target.

The ever threatening Niall Brennan forced another good save from Scanlon on 70 minutes, and it appeared as though not even the kitchen sink would be enough to beat Scanlon in Rangers' goal.

Aaron Murren then broke down the left, but again his shot was saved.

But for a goal-line clearance from Steve Feeney in the 86th minute, the Leitrim men could well have nicked it at the death.

A nice one-two between Armstrong and McLoughlin again ended in the arms of the Manor net-minder, before Feeney himself saw his header cleared off the line thanks to more excellent defending from the men in blue.

And so extra-time ensued, and it wasn't long before the town men did eventually take the lead.

With just three minutes of extra-time played, Brennan tucked the ball past Scanlon after a nice one/two with substitute Gareth Kelly.

And with 15 minutes of extra-time played, Carbury made it two.

Niall Brennan was dragged down in the Manor box, with referee Paul Kilcoyne pointing to the spot.

Aaron Murren made no mistake and tucked the spot-kick away to seal the trophy for Carbury.

Manor did have an opportunity to halve the deficit deep into extra-time when an indirect free-kick was awarded when Mark Rooney was adjudged to have handled the ball outside the box.

Alan Hickey's indirect free was well saved by Rooney, however.

Carbury: Mark Rooney, Daniel Smith, Steve Feeney, Johnny Martyn, Aaron Murren, Mark McGoldrick (Gareth Kelly, 78), Ross McLoughlin (Andrew McLoughlin, 90+20), Colm Jinks, Niall Brennan, Gary Finan, Gary Armstrong (Ciaran O'Boyle, 90+16).

Manorhamilton Rangers: Paul Scanlon, Anthony McDonald (David Devaney, 90+16), James Glancy, Thomas McDonald, Ciaran McLoughlin, Aaron Hickey, Ruadhan Feeney (Paul Clancy, 87), Paul Logan (Patrick Woulfe, 66), Alan Hickey, Brian McDonald, Seamus Ryder.

Referee: Paul Kilcoyne.

Sligo Champion