Saturday 7 December 2019

Carbury back in top spot

Carbury return to top spot in the Sligo Southern Hotel Super League after they defeated Cartron 3-0 at Sean Fallon Park on Sunday afternoon.

Cartron came into this came three points ahead of the reigning champions, but with two more games played.

Carbury stamped their authority on this game after only ten minutes when Gary Finan opened their account.

Aaron Murren doubled the score two minutes from the break when he fired home from the penalty spot.

Carbury were rock solid at the back dealing with all that Cartron could muster and nine minutes from the end Gary Armstrong fired home the third and killer goal that wrapped up all three points for the new league leaders Carbury FC.

Manorhamilton Rangers hosted St. John's in what proved to be a cracker of a game.

Both sides were in top form and the first half remained scoreless.

St Johns took the lead with a superb goal from Conor King with Manor now under pressure.

The turning point arrived with two brilliant substitutions Seamus Ryder coming off the bench to level matters, with Brian Mc Donald firing Manor ahead.

Fourteen minutes from time second substitute Shane Walsh hit the third goal that made sure of the three points, leaving the Manor Boys in third position on the league table.

Strand Celtic move into 4th place on the leader board after an exciting clash away to Aughanagh Celtic.

It looked as though the game was heading for a draw until five minutes from time when a beautiful cross from Conor McKeon was flicked on by substitute Shane McCallion and tapped home by Shay Doherty.

Aughanagh still continued to attack and only a superb save from Cian Basquille in the dying seconds prevented Aughanagh Celtic from having a share of the spoils.

This was a great result for Strand as not to many clubs will leave Ballinafad this season with full points.

North Sligo's Cliffoney Celtic were 3-2 winners against a vastly improving Glenview Stars.

Stars were leading at the break thanks to an Anthony Johnston goal.

A minute into the second half Alan Harrison levelled matters for Cliffoney Celtic and four minutes later they were in the lead courtesy of a fine strike from John Gilsenan. Stars rallied and were rewarded eight minutes from time when John Feicks fired home the equaliser.

But Cliffoney had the final say two minutes from time when John Warnock hit a brilliant winner.


South Sligo High Flyers Real Tubber lead the way in the Sligo Pallets Premier League thanks to a four-goal victory on the Astro at Cleveragh against Calry Bohs. The hero of the day was Matthew Mulhern who scored all four goals for Real Tubber, the first two before half time were from the penalty spot.

Calry Bohs' cause wasn't helped when Mamoud Mansaray was sent off just before half time, and ten minutes from the end Mark Foley was also sent off, after he was issued with a second yellow card.

Arrow Harps were at home to neighbours Ballygawley Celtic with Arrow Harps sitting in pole position and Ballygawley Celtic looking for the bragging rights.

It was a fantastic encounter with Arrow Harps ahead after one minute when Luke Flynn opened their account.

Harps held this lead until ten minutes into the second half when James Mackey levelled matters for Ballygawley Celtic.

Both sides continued to attack and it was Ballygawley Celtic who took the lead on 70 minutes with a screamer of a gaol from Ryan Walsh.

Ballygawley were well in control and looked to be heading for a shock victory but three minutes from time Karl McKenna reacted quickly to fire home a great equaliser.

Unfortunately, Kyle Carty of Ballygawley Celtic and Officer Thomas Walsh were issued with red cards following the Harps equaliser.

Dark horses Ballymote Celtic, who occupy third spot on the leader board, travelled to Carney to play Yeats United at the Danny Mc Ginley Memorial Park.

Ballymote Celtic had too much fire power with leading scorer Mark Irwin bagging two goals, Colm Duffy adding one goal, and Ciaran Anderson bagging a hat trick for a rampant Ballymote while Ross Carty hit the only goal for a young Yeats United side.

Carrick Town travelled to the IT Astro at Ballinode to play Gurteen Celtic and took all three points thanks to the only goal of the game from Shane Beirne, which puts the Town Mid table.

Chaffpool United made their trip to Coolaney a most rewarding venture.

Darren Coleman netted twice for the Pool with further strikes from Paul Connolly, Cahill Gallagher, Ronan O Dowd and Tom Meehan giving them an emphatic win over a Coolaney side that scored once courtesy of Conor Mc Cormack.

Sligo Champion