Sligo Champion

| 17.6°C Dublin

Carbury advance in Connacht Cup


Gareth Kelly struck ten minutes into extra time

Gareth Kelly struck ten minutes into extra time

Gareth Kelly struck ten minutes into extra time

Carbury advanced to the quarter finals of the T P Brennan Connacht Cup following a 4-3 victory over Mayo side Manulla in a cracking game at Forthill on Sunday.

Manulla went ahead after 40 seconds when they were controversially awarded a penalty, with Ger Canavan tucking the ball past Mark Rooney.

It took them a while to get going, but Carbury found their feet and levelled five minutes from the break with a fine header from Ryan McManus.

Carbury went ahead early in the second-half when Gary Finan got on the end of Gerry Brennan's ball into the box.

Manulla made it 2-2 with a few minutes to go when they were controversially awarded a free-kick outside the box, much to the annoyance of the Carbury officials. The free was well saved by Jason Quinn in the Carbury goals, but Chris Maughan pounced on the rebound and beat Quinn in goals.

The game went to extra-time and Carbury were certainly the better side.

Gareth Kelly struck ten minutes into extra time and Carbury were now in the driving seat. Four minutes later and Aaron Murren's penalty gave Carbury a cushion. Manulla battled hard and Canavan netted his second, but it was too late.

Cartron United were away to Salthill Devon, unfortunately for the Sligo men they went down by four goals to nil.

In the T P Brennan Connacht Shield 3rd Round Calry Bohs welcomed NUIG Galway to Hazelwood. NUIG proved too strong with two goals from Declan Tierney and a third goal from Alan Mc Kenna sealing the game for NUIG.

Real Tubber were at home to Corrib Celtic B and what a game that included extra time and the dreaded penalty shootout. Corrib were ahead on five minutes with the opening goal scored by Ciaran Dolan. Matthew Mulhern drew Real Tubber level on 60 minutes this score eventually bringing the game into extra time.

Corrib hit the front three minutes into extra time with Ciaran Dolan scoring his second goal. Real Tubber were now threading water and with time running out goal keeper Griffin Gallagher lent his presence to the Real Tubber attack and his pass found Fabio Cretaro who crashed home a glorious equaliser that brought the game into a penalty shootout. Man, of the Match had to be Real Tubber goal keeper Griffin Gallagher who saved three penalty kicks with Real Tubber converting theirs to go forward in dramatic style to the next round.

Ballymote Celtic welcomed local side Ballygawley Celtic to Brother Walfrid Park in this all local Derby. This game had an abrupt and unsavoury end following the dismissal of a Ballygawley player by the referee when Ballymote were leading 5-4. This matter will now be dealt with by the Connacht Football Association.


In the quarter finals of the Glasshouse Hotel Cup Carbury earned a semi final spot away to Cartron United when they defeated Cliffoney Celtic 7-2 in Mullaghmore last Wednesday. Gareth Kelly's hat-trick along with goals from Neal McKenna, Gary Armstrong and Aaron Murren wrapping up affairs for Carbury. Cliffoney Celtic scored twice courtesy of Michael Gilmartin and James Warnock.

In the semi-finals of the Glasshouse Hotel Cup Ballisodare hosted Manor Rangers. It was all square at the break but the Ballisodare crowd erupted on 64 minutes when Josh Mulrennan rifled home the opening goal for Ballisodare. This looked like a shock was on the cards but Manor Rangers are not league leaders by luck they kept the pressure up and six minutes from time a penalty from Paddy Woulfe levelled matters. Both sides went for the jugular and the glory fell to the feet of James Glancy three minutes from time when he lifted the roof with a glorious winner to book Manor Rangers a Final spot against either Cartron United or Carbury.

In the semi-finals of the Cleary Landscapes Pitch & Maintenance Cup, Coolaney United were at home to Riverstown Boys Arrow Harps. Coolaney United went two goals up before half time with strikes from Cathal Davey and a penalty from Stanley Harte.

On the hour mark, Karl Mc Kenna banged home a great goal for Harps and five minutes later his brother Ryan Mc Kenna had the side level with a glorious equaliser. Both sides went in search but without success of that all elusive winner and it went to a penalty shoot-out with Coolaney United emerging victorious by five goals to four in what was by all accounts a brilliant game by both sides.

The other semi final saw title chasers Ballymote Celtic welcome Chaffpool United to Brother Walfrid park, a win here for Ballymote Celtic would see the possibility of a double this season. Mark Irwin netted twice for Ballymote Celtic while David Prendergast and Joe Perry were on the mark for the Pool leaving the sides level at half time.

Ballymote Celtic upped the tempo in the second half with Anto Higgins and Colm Duffy the heroes on the night each scoring once to book a place in the Final of the Glasshouse Hotel Cup against Coolaney United.


Football was back in force during the week with Glenview Stars hosting St Johns at Forthill on Tuesday night in the Sligo Southern Hotel Super League. St Johns continue their winning streak, they dispatched Merville Utd on Sunday and continued this rich vein with a fine win against a vastly improved Glenview Stars.

Once again it was that young man Sean O'Flynn opening the scoring on ten minutes for St Johns. Canice Mulligan made it 2-0 on 25 minutes and it remained that way until three minutes into the second half when Dylan Martin was on target to give Stars a life line. The game was now a tight affair with Stars in the hunt for that vital equaliser but an fortunate own goal secured a vital three points for St Johns that will give them some home and Stars of this performance can still cause damage.

Merville United lost again at home going down by three goals to nil on Wednesday night against a young and exciting Strand Celtic. Ben Spelman scored from the penalty spot with Fiachra Cogan and Kenny Ogun also on the mark putting Strand in fourth place on the leader board.

MCR hit visitors Aughanagh Celtic for five at Sean Fallon Park. The scorers here were Alieu Menah Sesay with two goals, Keith Nibbs, Darren Somers and Keith Gilmartin. Aughanagh replied once with a fine strike from Ciaran Kilfeather.

Manor Rangers welcomed MCR to the Bee Park Manorhamilton, to face what could prove a very stiff challenge from MCR. The first half proved just how tough this would be with both sides scoreless.

Manor Rangers hit the front on 60 minutes when Diarmuid Giblin fired Manor into the lead. MCR still had their chances but were unable to capitalise on them and seven minutes from time a brilliant effort from Paul Logan flew by Tony Clarke the MCR net minder and it was three points in the bag for league front runners Manor Rangers.

However, they will be tested to the full next Wednesday night when they journey to Sean Fallon Park Cranmore in a return bout with MCR.

Strand Celtic continue their amazing run clocking up a third win in succession this time at the expense of Glenview Stars at Forthill. Ben Spelman, Jimmy Monaghan, Fiachra Cogan, Kenny Ogun and Caoilte Brannigan all on target for Strand Celtic while Dylan Martin was once again on the mark with a penalty for Stars. Next Thursday night Strand entertain St Johns at a venue to be announced by Strand Celtic while Stars welcome Ballisodare United to Forthill.

Merville United welcomed North Sligo flyers Cliffoney Celtic to Maugheraboy where they shared the spoils in this six-goal thriller. Donagh Crowne opened the account for Merville on sixteen minutes and Jordan Harte put Merville two up ten minutes later. Cliffoney hit back on thirty minute's courtesy of Gary O'Connor and five minutes from the break Ryan Hargadon hit the third goal for Merville.

The second half seen a great fight back from Cliffoney and this was rewarded with strikes from Diarmuid Gallagher and Conor Herity that insured a very valuable point for Cliffoney Celtic.

Merville are still in the danger zone but they have the talent to avoid the drop.

Sligo Champion