Thursday 22 March 2018

Boyle march on in FAI Junior Cup

Cian Higgins of Aughanagh Celtic in action with Simon Gilmartin, Ballisodare United. Pic: Carl Brennan
Cian Higgins of Aughanagh Celtic in action with Simon Gilmartin, Ballisodare United. Pic: Carl Brennan

The biggest game in Town this weekend was Boyle Celtic at home to VEC Terenure, Dublin in the last sixteen of the FAI Junior Cup.

Boyle Celtic with the backing of a massive home crowd had a dream start when Niall Brennan pounced on a poor back pass to rifle home the opener. The match then opened up with both sides playing an attacking game. The best chance of an equaliser for VEC fell to Aidan Hyland four minutes from halftime when Kyle Suffin in the Boyle goals spilled the ball and from six yards Hyland shot over the bar, a major let off for Boyle.

Ten minutes into the second half and the big man John Connolly was unlucky not to put Boyle two ahead, he hit a brilliant effort from the edge of the box that had the keeper beaten all ends up but hit the bar and VEC got out of jail. Boyle Keeper Kyle Suffin was booked on sixty-four minutes for time wasting in an effort to count down the clock. The game was now entering into the last quarter and VEC needed a goal desperately. But again, it was Boyle who nearly went further ahead when five minutes from normal time Niall Brennan put a great effort just wide of the VEC goals.

It was all hands-on deck now and Brennan was indeed unfortunate not to have reached double figures. But in injury time Boyle were awarded a penalty kick, up stepped Luka Roddy to fire home from the spot and Boyle Celtic march on to the quarter final draw of the FAI Junior Cup. Shane Battles was presented with the Man of The Match Award on a day of joy and celebrations at Celtic Park. Congratulations to all the Boyle Players, committee and supporters and in particular to Manager Darren Hurd on a brilliant and well deserved result.

The Great Southern Hotel Super League leaders Carbury continue their domination but only just,. They were away to Yeats United at the Danny McGinley Memorial Park Carney and they were made to battle all the way. The only goal of the game was from leading scorer Dylan Edwards who tapped home ten minutes into the second half. A great result for Carbury but what a magnificent display from the Yeats Men.

Strand Celtic with a goal each from Mark McGoldrick and Barry O'Mahoney took all three points away to St John's, this result keeping Strand in second spot on the leader board. Ballisodare United welcomed Aughanagh Celtic for their clash and the only goal game came on thirty-two minutes with a fine effort from Simon Gilmartin taking a massive three points for the Boys from Ballisodare. This result leaves Aughanagh deep now in relegation territory but they are good enough to avoid the drop.

Leitrim Kingpins Manor Rangers had a busy day on their visit to Forthill they hit Glenview Stars for seven with Seamus Ryder scoring five goals, and a goal each from Colm Callinan and Niall Brady wrapping up the points for Manor. Stars scored once courtesy of Gino O'Boyle. Calry Bohs sit mid table after this excellent win by the odd goal in five at home to Ballymote Celtic. Eoin the Hit Man Nicholson scoring twice and current International Conor Griffin grabbing the third for Calry. Young Jack Hever scored both goals for a very good Ballymote Celtic.

The Andrew Mullen Sligo Pallets Premier is proving to be one of the most exciting in years. Carrick Town are now just one point behind the leaders after a blistering display of fire power hitting nine past visitors Merville United. Rodrigo Bouabida hitting four goals and a goal each from Ray Mulvey, Liam McTiernan, David Regan, Conor Silke and a fantastic chip for the debut boy Cormac Smith Son of the legendary Town Striker Frankie Smith rounding off a remarkable result. Merville scored once through Gareth Quinn.

The other massive game was in Riverstown where Arrow Harps welcomed MCR both sides wanting a win.

The game had it all with both sides playing an open attacking game with neither defence giving an inch. But with ten minutes remaining Arrow Harps went in front, a beautiful cross from Andy Flynn opened up the MCR rear-guard and Ciaran O'Connor smacked the ball into the open net.

This looked a match winner but two minutes from time, referee Paul Harte awarded a contentious free kick to MCR and Joe Cobbe rose high at the back post to head home the equaliser. Arrow Harps attacked from the restart and Tony Clarke in the MCR goals had to make two fantastic saves and deep in injury time Andy Tiernan snatched a dramatic winner for MCR that keeps their title hopes alive.

Arrow Harps will be wondering how they let it slip but they are only two points behind the leaders and will be a major force to be reckoned with. In The Cleary Landscapes & Pitch Maintenance Division One Coolaney United lead the way after staging an amazing fight back at home to visitors Chaffpool United.

The Pool were leading by two goals to nil at half time courtesy of John Feeney. Coolaney came out with all guns blazing in the second half and new kid on the block Joe Kilcullen fired home a hattrick aided and abetted with a goal each from Paul Clarke and the inform Ciaran McMurray.

Gurteen Celtic in third spot three points behind the leaders and with a game in hand a fine performance away to Dromore Villa.

Martin Doherty slamming home a hattrick with a goal apiece from James O'Hara and Fiacra Gorman doing the business.

The Villa scored twice, a goal from David Cuilkin and Gavin Connolly.

Sligo Champion