Sunday 21 January 2018

High-flying Boyle Celtic are proving unbeatable

The Bowl in Boyle was the venue for Saturday evening's fixture when David Gaule's Yeats United took on Super League Leaders Boyle Celtic.

Leading goal scorer Niall Brennan bagged a brace to bring his tally to twenty league goals to date, Brian Mc Crann, Killian Conboy, Michael Corrigan and James Carty all found the net without reply from the North Sligo men. Owen O Donoghue's men are in flying form showing their dominance at the summit of the super league without losing a game to date.

John Loftus' City United must be still in contention to retain the title and should they win their six games in hand on the leaders it could auger for a very exciting season run in.

Bart Folan's Cartron United entertained Ballymote Celtic on the Astro at Cleveragh and it was Sean Irwin's Celtic that claimed the bragging rights here beating Cartron United 4-1. Conor Meehan bagged a brace while Michael Doddy and Lucas hit one each. Colm Jinks was taken down inside the penalty box and referee Ralf Zoschke had no hesitation in pointing to the penalty spot. Neal Mc Kenna stepped up and slotted home the consolation goal for Folan's Sligo Town Side.

Second placed Aughanagh Celtic at home to Noel Meenaghan's Ballisodare United and with David Craig's men needing the win to keep their title ambitions alive, however the "Boys from Ballisodare" had different ideas. A goal each from Ibrahim Savage and Darragh Healy and a John Craig O.G. saw the disappointed South Sligo side head back up the N4 knowing that this 0-3 result could be the one that put a dent in their title challenge. St Johns F.C. travelled to Calry to take on Eamonn Kelly's Calry Bohs. The Carraroe outfit showed they are worthy of their Super League status going home with all three points.

Sligo Pallets Premier League

Boyle Celtic Reserves welcomed Dessie O Connor's Cliffoney Celtic to the bowl. The reserve side were 1-0 up at half time and kept the pressure up in the second half with a double strike from Ray Maughan and one from Luca Roddy

Seamie O Boyle's promotion seeking Glenview Stars took on Thomas Walsh's Ballygawley Celtic on Forthill, and the Sligo Town side took all three points courtesy of a Kenneth Barlow brace, and one a-piece from Chris Mc Donagh and Enda Breslin. Vernon Gilmour hit the Ballygawley consolation goal.

It was a case of fifth versus sixth when John Scanlon's Chaffpool United took on John Lynch's M.C.R. F.C in Bunninadden in the afternoon fixture. Colin Lynch was on target twice and Colm McMorrow hit a fine strike to see John Lynch's Cranmore based M.C.R. F.C. claim all three points and golevel on the table with the south Sligo side. Bill Carty netted the consolation goal for the home side.

Strand Celtic Reserves faced the in-form second placed Carrick town in the seaside setting and the Leitrim men still hot on the tail of league leaders produced a fine display of football, they led by one goal at the break and went on to win the tie 6-0. A ray Mulvey hat- trick and one each from Niall Commerton, Brian O Donnell and Michael Corrigan keep Carrick Town in promotion contention. Alan Henry's League Leaders Real Tubber welcomed Dromore Villa to the South Sligo venue and they are looking good for promotion to the Best Western Sligo Southern Hotel Super League with a 3-1 home win over Michael Hynes Dromore Villa.

Cleary Landscapes & Pitch Maintenance Division One:

Easkey Harps were awarded a 3-0 walkover when Aclare Celtic failed to field. Division One leaders Coolaney United under the management of Alan Taffe took on third placed Arrow Harps in a right royal battle. Coolaney United led three nil at the break and with goals from Paul Baker, James Ellis and Paul Farren. Dylan Edwards on target for Harps. In the second half Sean Walsh added United's fourth and it looked like game set and match until the Riverstown side stepped up a gear and Dylan Edwards hit two goals in quick succession. The game ended 4-4 when John Baker found the back of the net for Harps with the last kick of the game.

Connacht Cup

Super League sides Strand Celtic and City United were in Connacht Cup Action this weekend, Cranmore based City United welcomed N.U.I.G to Sean Fallon Park. Mark Mc Goldrick got the game off to a great start taking the lead on six minutes, Captain Marvel Keith Nibbs double the lead on twenty six minutes. N.U.I.G. pulled one back through a sixty sixth minute penalty. Then in the closing minutes Paul Flanagan scored the third for City United who now progress to the quarter final.

Maurice Monaghan's sea-sider's travelled West to take on the Mayo League's Westport United and did manage to hold their own for most of the first half until just on the stroke of half time when they conceded a goal. From the start of the second half it became a mammoth task as Celtic sustained injury to several players and before they knew it they were 4-0 down and heading home the worse for wear.

Sligo Champion

Promoted Links

Promoted Links